Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 05:07:04 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Town Meeting PA System Apology
« previous next »
: [1]
: Town Meeting PA System Apology  ( 3202 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : March 03, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »

OK, I'm going to be the fall guy for the PA system because I was the one who set it up.
I don't know what happened, but all was working when I checked it Friday afternoon. I was sitting on the far end of the gym, and did not know the speaker farthest from me was not working until the town portion of the meeting was underway.
I did some quick re-wiring during a break and both speakers were working.
We at the school have a problem of microphones disappearing. At one time, I had enough microphones, so that there was one for the moderater, one for the head table, one for the person doing a presentation, and one for the audience at the podium at the back of the room. Friday I was all over the school looking for anything that would work.
I ended up with only two microphones-one for the moderator and one for the head table/presenter, and used a wireless system for the audience podium.
Had I known the speaker wasn't working during the school portion, I would have tried to fix it then.
And then to make matters worse, the batteries in the wireless died during the town presentation. I did not have my keys with me, and didn't have the means to get fresh ones. I did spot the custodian on duty later, and he went and got some new batteries, so I was able to get that working again.

I sincerely apologize for the screw-up. I take pride in my job, and take it personal if things don't go right. I understand a letter was written to the selectboard with a complaint about the soundsystem. I am sorry. I hope before the next town meeting, the school can get some new mics and we can have a secure place to store and keep track of the things so that they will be there when I need them when it's time to set things up.

I am very sorry all this happened. I hope we can make sure it doesn't happen again.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : March 03, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »

Mike......You've always been a stand-up person and I know you feel bad about this , but you should remember that others need to take some of the blame also. Your suggestion for a system that consistently checks and secures the inventory of electronics seems necessary and fairly simple to set up. Ginette Pigeon used to do an outstanding job for us and coordinated her findings with our AV person , Chauncy Eldridge I believe. There's no question that " the devils are in the details " , and let's hope that your suggestion bears fruit.  In the meantime , keep up the good work that you do for both the school and the town........and maybe even start cheering for Montreal rather then Boston ???
David Shea
: 471

« #2 : March 03, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »

Mike,
You are a valued town employee.  Everybody makes mistakes or oversights once in a while.  As a matter of fact, I made my first mistake yesterday! Lol.

I was at the town meeting and was able to hear what was being said despite the microphone situation.  I chose to sit in the empty chairs at the front of the gym for that very reason.   (My hearing is not the best... farm machinery, chain saws, power tools & loud rock concerts without hearing protection.)   Even though some folks were having trouble hearing, I didn't notice if any of them moved from their seats in the back toward the front.

I have also noticed that you volunteer your time at Christmas to set up and open the school for the annual community holiday concert.  You are a good person and try your best... nobody can fault you for that.

Dave
MikeF9
: 1994

« #3 : March 03, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »

Thank you both for the kind words.
Unfortunately, Dick, with the cutbacks at school, there is no longer an AV person. As such, things got sorted and scattered, and I don't know what happened to some of the stuff.
As for me switching alliances and rooting for the Canadiens, well......that would be like asking you to root for the Yankees. Never going to happen.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: