Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:29:27 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Car Hits Moose On Route 128
« previous next »
: [1]
: Car Hits Moose On Route 128  ( 4896 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 14, 2011, 09:29:15 AM »

Westford Fire, Essex Rescue and Essex Fire were called out to a Car vs Moose on Route 128 around 10:45 last night.  Must have been down at the lower end of Route 128 as Fairfax Rescue was not called.  Unknown damage or injuries.  I did see a couple days ago where a Moose was spotted in the Jericho/Underhill area, so that might be the same one.

Travelled Route 128 for about 40 years when I was working.  Did see a couple of Moose and I remember one night Hank Bouffard who lived near Cobb's Corners in Westford ended up hitting a horse on his way home.   Don't ever remember a Moose being hit before.  The last Moose I saw was in the little hill just as you go on Route 128 before you get to the Browns River Bridge.

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : May 14, 2011, 11:10:55 AM »

Good Morning ,Henry      As many people know ,this is the time of the year when the " yearling " moose , both male & female , are sent away ( literally driven out ) by the adult cow moose as she prepares to deliver her new calves. The yearlings are quite unfamiliar with traffic and as a result ,there are numerous car-moose collisions in May & early June on Vt. , NH , and Maine highways . The fortunate part is that the yearling moose are not typically as large and the injury rate of the drivers are usually not as severe . Hope that the collision last night was not that bad , but certainly the potential is always there for a fatal.
The growth of the Moose Herd in northern New England , especially Vermont , creates lots of challenges for F&G  and Law Enforcement , especially because they ( the Moose ) have no natural predators , once it reaches yearling status. " Culling " the herd certainly brings out strong reactions and yet , somehow it has to be accomplished , with the permit process seemingly the best method currently utilized .
We're looking for rain down here to reduce the wildfire threat ......certainly could use some of that which is falling in your area ...90* at noon today ,,,,,,,,,,and no snowbanks !! 
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : May 14, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »

i wonder if there was any meat left?
Razzle Dazzle

« #3 : May 14, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »

I traveled 128 this morning and noticed a large blood stain.
Then tonight, while on 118 we pulled off the side of the road to view a large moose munching on fresh greens.
I took photos, but haven't reviewed them yet.

I certainly hope no one was injured at the 128 incident.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #4 : May 14, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »

I went to Home Depot this morning in mid town Anchorage, Momma and two yearling's mowing down the trees that Home Depot had in the lot for sale.

During my commute to Palmer this past winter I saw 4 wrecks on the highway, that I know of, car on moose.

When you see lights of stopped cars and steam ahead of you, it's a strike.

I went to Palmer last Monday and the sign posted said there were over 125 accidents this winter, cars vs moose.

Moose always lose but cars are really damaged and people do get hurt.
Henry
Administrator

« #5 : May 14, 2011, 06:52:06 PM »

Channel 3 News had a segment with video - Will keep watching for it and give you a link when it comes up.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : May 15, 2011, 08:38:41 AM »

They did not have a video up, but did have a photo and a location on Route 128:

http://www.wcax.com/story/14646928/close-call-for-driver?redirected=true

Henry Raymond
Razzle Dazzle

« #7 : May 15, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »

It's just on the Essex side of a farm...the farm on the rise of a hill. I don't know the names of farmers.
I slowed down tonight to see what was left...just part of a leg.  Looks as though the meat didn't go to waste.  I hope the driver recovers quickly and her insurance covers her losses.
Unfortunate for both.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: