Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:03:12 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  How can I stop this bird from moving into my breezeway!
« previous next »
: [1]
: How can I stop this bird from moving into my breezeway!  ( 7815 )
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« : May 19, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »

I came home from Boston last night to a black bird with a white belly, swooping at me as I tried to get into the house.  It keeps going into the breezeway and we have not found a next yet, but I suspect when I get home today I will see one in the works.  She constantly is coming at us when we go outside, otherwise I would not mind her moving in.

Any suggestions on spooking her to go somewhere else.  She is really persistant.  I am guessing it is a female as I don't even know what type of bird she is.  I will try and grab a picture of her tonight.

If I don't come up with a peaceful idea, my friend says killing it is his option :-( I don't want to do that.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
trussell
: 870

« #1 : May 19, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »

Call Animal Control :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mkr
Administrator

« #2 : May 19, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »

I wouldn't mind if she didn't swoop over my head and fly circles outside the breezeway until we moved.  She is very stalker like! LOL

rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #3 : May 19, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »

call me................. dirty deeds done dirt cheap
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : May 19, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »

I think it is a swallow - I was mowing the lawn and she said it was making a nest out of mud and dry grass.  I had a heck of a problem a while back.  They were building mud nests on top of my windows outside under the eaves.  I kept knocking them down and they kept rebuilding them, but in the end I won.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : May 19, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »

JoAnne sent me the following note:

Hi Henry,
I think Mary Kay's bird might be a phoebe, by her description. They can be very persistent. They usually nest under the eves of buildings. I don't have a solution to make it leave, until  baby birds have left. Is there another door she can use, or just knock down any nesting material until the bird gives up.

Jo

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #6 : May 20, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »

Hey wait a minute, doesn't MK have a cat? I bet he'd be happy to help her out!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mkr
Administrator

« #7 : May 20, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »

I believe I was wrong on the colors.  Of course it was night time when I saw it.  Yesterday I did see some grey and looks like a yellowish belly.  I keep knocking the nests down so they don't lay eggs. We go in and out of the side door and garage door all the time so they would not be happy ladies if they lay eggs there.

Trevor I do have two cats and both are indoor cats.  Maxine who loves the birds to watch is glued to the window facing the breezeway every time they show up, but she is declawed so she would be of no good. Jazmin, my other kitty, she is old and has no desire to go outside or look at them birds, just her food dish! :-)

Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #8 : May 21, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »

call me................. dirty deeds done dirt cheap

NICE AC/DC reference.... Love it.

MKR, shotgun.

BUT check the Migratory Bird Act for your area.
Since you posted this here a lot of people have seen it.

By law, there is a date you cannot disturb nesting birds. Check your area rules.
We have had several construction projects delayed do to Robin's nests, Starling's nest,,,,etc etc.
Up here we can clear land after June 15.

I still say shotgun.
formerfairfaxion
: 9

« #9 : May 25, 2011, 04:32:40 AM »

I had this same problem for several years with robins building nests. A friend at work told me to tie a bunch of bright colored balloons close to the spot they were building nests. They kept building them on top of a spot light on my deck. The color & balloons movement kept them away. It worked for me. Good luck!
mkr
Administrator

« #10 : May 25, 2011, 12:11:48 PM »

So I kept knocking done their work each time the two birds started building.  After day two, one bird gave up and after four days the other bird did as well! Phew, I am glad I was in town when they did this as I would not knock down a nest with eggs in it!

Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #11 : May 26, 2011, 01:29:49 AM »

Pellet gun?
: [1]  
« previous next »
: