Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 09:07:09 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Motorcyclist Killed This Morning In Georgia
« previous next »
: [1]
: Motorcyclist Killed This Morning In Georgia  ( 4408 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 28, 2011, 08:54:02 AM »

A motorcyclist was killed Tuesday morning in a bad crash in Georgia, Vt.

The crash happened around 5 a.m. near the intersection of Route 7 and Skunk Hill Road. Vermont State Police say the male driver lost control of his bike and hit a guard rail. The man's name has not been released pending notification of family.

Channel 3 has a crew on the scene and we'll have more information throughout the day.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : June 28, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »

The fatal accident occurred at about 10:30 p.m. when Vaughn Flanders, 47, of St. Albans failed to negotiate a sharp turn and struck a guard rail on Skunk Hill Road in Georgia, Vermont State Police said. Flanders had just left a residence on the road and was riding his 2002 Harley Davidson home when he crashed, police said.

Troopers responded to the scene at 5:07 a.m. Tuesday and found Flanders at the bottom of a steep embankment adjacent to the Georgia park and ride. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Trooper Cory Lozier said police do not suspect alcohol, speed or weather factored in the crash.

Henry Raymond
FletcherGram
: 103

« #2 : June 28, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »

Just got the Messenger out of the box. I believe they have the wrong first name in regards to this accident. From what I've heard around town today, Henry you have the info correct. Vaughn is the son of David (& Marge) Flanders in Fletcher. His mother's name is Pauline. Another tragedy.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #3 : June 28, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »

STATE OF VERMONT DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
VERMONT STATE POLICE PRESS RELEASE

FATAL MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH
CASE#:  11A202849
TROOPER:   Lozier           STATION: VSP ST. ALBANS                   
CONTACT#:  524-5993

DATE/TIME: June 28th, 2011 (SEE BELOW FOR TIME OF ACCIDENT)
LOCATION (specific):  Skunk Hill road, Georgia, VT

VEHICLE #1 OPERATOR:  Vaughn Flanders       AGE:  47    SEAT BELT? N
CITY, STATE OF RESIDENCE:  St. Albans City, VT

DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE:  2002 Harley Davidson motorcycle
DAMAGE TO VEHICLE:  Significant

INJURIES
V #1 / Vaughn Flanders / St. Albans, VT / 47 / NO SEAT BELT / Deceased               

WEATHER: Clear-overcast, becoming light (DAWN)   
ROAD COND:  Paved roadway, Dry

SUMMARY OF CRASH:
On June 28, 2011 at approximately 0507 hours, VSP ST. ALBANS responded to a single motorcycle accident on Skunk Hill road in Georgia, VT.  Dispatch advised that the sole occupant of the motorcycle, Vaughn Flanders (47) was pronounced dead on scene by AMCARE personal. 

Upon arrival, it was determined that Flanders was operating his 2002 Harley Davidson southwest on Skunk Hill road when he failed to negotiate a sharp curve in the road.  Flanders left the roadway, traveled onto the shoulder and then struck a metal guard rail post.  Flanders was wearing a "skull cap" style helmet and was thrown down a steep embankment, adjacent to the Georgia park and ride.

Based upon investigations, it is suspected that the crash occurred sometime after 2030 hours on June 27th (prior evening).  VSP learned that Flanders left a residence on Skunk Hill road at approximately 2030 hours and was headed home to his residence in St. Albans city. 

The cause of the accident was Flanders failed to negotiate a sharp curve.  Flanders' inexperience on a motorcycle was a contributing factor however it does not appear speed, alcohol and/or weather conditions were factors in this crash.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
kboyz
: 1

« #4 : June 29, 2011, 03:57:20 AM »

Vaughn was a graduate of BFA Fairfax class of 1982. He was a nice guy who mostly kept to himself. I ran into him about a year and a half ago after many, many years. I believe he worked at Fletcher Allen as a nurses assistant.
« : June 29, 2011, 06:13:45 AM Henry »
mirjo
: 785

« #5 : July 03, 2011, 07:18:06 PM »

Vaughn was an old friend of mine from BFA and was one of the kindest, most caring people I have ever met. He was a quiet, soft-spoken guy, who did "keep to himself" as stated previously; however, Vaughn's appearance belied his gentle, considerate personality. I think he was judged as something other than what he actually was. Anyone who bothered to get to know him was  fortunate to have done so. Although I haven't seen him in a number of years, I found this news to be terribly sad.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: