Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:18:39 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Nice article about Fairfax and Population in BFP
« previous next »
: [1]
: Nice article about Fairfax and Population in BFP  ( 7128 )
Fairfax Librarian
: 870

« : August 08, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »

Follow this link
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110808/NEWS02/110807024/Fairfax-population-soars-except-kids-?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGEto read the 8/8/11 article covering population changes in Fairfax, with a focus on how kid friendly our town is.  Part of a Free Press Series reporting on the 2010 census results.
Great pictures of library patrons enjoying a wildlife program and our craft table for kids!
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : August 08, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »

It was i agree.  Then you had some Mother who obviously wasn't fit for rural living, who'd lived here for a short time and didn't bother trying to be part of this community, make a really bad comment on the website.  Methinks she was one of those people who have fantastical ideas of moving into an area and having things revolve around them and their needs;  Not once thinking of what it meant to be part of the community at large.  She's also obviously poorly educated as anyone who wants to be taken seriously, kows an argument has to at least attempt to show both sides in order to hold any credibility and as hers solely paints Fairfax as a hillbilly bad place to live and Burlington is a great place to live, she's obviously of low class and gravely misinformed.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : August 09, 2011, 07:41:06 PM »

All the comments seemed to be from haters. I have no interest in living in a city, but I don't go bad mouthing it. Every town has its issues. I ain't seen no hillbillies on doorsteps with shotguns. I don't know what she was putting in her coffee. Perhaps she angered her neighbor with that bad attitude or something? ;-)

As for BFA...I think for a small school in a rural community it offers  a lot to students. There are many students who have graduated from BFA who have gone on to do some wonderful things and they didn't need to be from "the city" to do them!

Case in point, it seems each year there are students at BFA winning awards for something, out-shining others in the whole state. I believe Maxx McNall won a trip to D.C. a few years back (some journalism thing) I don't recall the details but 2 students from each state were chosen and Maxx and another girl were chosen for Vt. That's just one example of fine things BFA kids have done, so it's really irritating to see the school/teachers dissed like that from people who are ignorant. Makes you want to put your list of achievements up in their faces and say: what you got? :P

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Razzle Dazzle

« #3 : August 10, 2011, 05:56:26 AM »

All the comments seemed to be from haters...

I rarely read the comments, as I have found your post to be true of most any article published.  Some people seem to be always looking for a fight, or a debate to draw others into.
I find many comments on BFP articles depressing and negitive, so I don't bother to read them.
slpott
: 457

« #4 : August 10, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »

As with anything in life, you get out what you put into it. Maybe there is no place for people like that. We must not miss her if she is gone and we don't even know who it is. WE LOVE FAIRFAX.
Suzy
: 429

« #5 : August 10, 2011, 12:33:51 PM »

I agree with Gerry...those Freeps online comments are always awful, extremely negative, and even sometimes creepy!  Who writes some of that stuff?

Fairfax was such a great place to grow up, and I feel the healthy community spirit alive and well all the way from Wyoming from Henry's forum, and from visits "back home."  I still see a community (that doesn't always agree with each other) get together to support students, athletes, neighbors, family, and friends.   if there's a chance for good food, good music, a good laugh, or the opportunity to support a friend in need, people show up.  I love all the photos of the Egg Run!  So many people in the community focused on a healthy sport that people can do throughout their lives!  Duck Races, and Story Walks!  The bike path is awesome, and Fairfax still has some beautiful countryside, and great small businesses...  I love the updates from the library, and Jo Anne' and Mike's photos from the area!  I love all the historical photos, stories about the "good ol' days," and silly banter that goes on here. 

Too bad the person who commented didn't get to experience that.  Like someone else mentioned, you only get out what you put in...

Anyway, thanks to Henry for being here for so many years!  How many years have you been doing this?  I sure appreciate it, and I know everyone else does.  I also appreciate everyone who contributes to the forum.  It's really a unique place, and a community treasure. 

Hope you're all having a great summer!
Love,
Suzy
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #6 : August 10, 2011, 12:40:39 PM »

We live in a terrific community! Lisa and Suzy, "Spot On" with what Fairfax is all about.

I loved this! "Makes you want to put your list of achievements up in their faces and say: what you got? " I so felt that way!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
BobFisherJr
: 8

« #7 : August 16, 2011, 11:08:42 AM »

I am SO sorry I read that article and the comments after it. I think my blood pressure shot up another 50 points. Think I'll go pump some iron and take out some aggression on an inanimate object.

I'll always remember Fairfax as a quaint little country town, with people who would gladly help anyone who needed it and looked out for each other. It's been my model as a core American-values community and will continue to be as my life has carried me elsewhere.

Even though I have truly learned the meaning of the saying," You can never go home again", I will forever hold Fairfax in a special place in my heart. 

Bob Fisher Jr
   Tacoma, Wa
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #8 : August 16, 2011, 02:25:46 PM »

I just read the article and all the comments.  One thing I have noticed about online commenters, that the majority of them will say something negative, no matter what the article may be about or what site it is on.  You can see this even in the "political comments" section of this site.  I think this is because if people are upset or pissed about something then they are much more likely to speak up, which is only natural.

As to the matter of the bus-driver, we've only been in Fairfax less than 4 years (and we dont have kids), and I dont really know the details.  So there is little point in me commenting on something from a standpoint of ignorance.

As to the "hillbillies on porches with guns" comment:  Well I see people on their porches a lot, and they can be too noisy sometimes, but havent seen any guns so far. :)

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: