Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 01:15:27 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Louise Decker's Pictures from the 1973 Tornado
« previous next »
: [1]
: Louise Decker's Pictures from the 1973 Tornado  ( 4054 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : August 10, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »

Here are eight great pictures she sent of the aftermath of the June 10, 1973 Tornado.

The end of Huntville Road.

The home of Louise's parents, Myron(Mike) and Laura Hubbert, located across the street where St. Luke's Church is now.

Hillcrest Poultry Farm

Another picture of the Hubbert residence.

Sam Hudson's place.

In front of Sam Hudson's.

The farm in Brush's Woods on Rt. 104. This is the place that had debris in the tops of the trees across the road. Sheets of metal roofing were wrapped around the trees.
« : August 10, 2011, 07:23:34 PM Henry »

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : August 11, 2011, 09:49:50 AM »

Mike   Thanks for posting Louise's pictures .  Lots of memories of the damage to that section of the town and the other areas of Fairfax that sustained significant losses that night. I also think that I remember you
( age 13 ????  ) helping myself and others the next day, in cleaning up parts of the temporary roof that had blown off the new addition into the middle parking lot .  I also remember the sound of chainsaws far into the night as individuals worked ( on their own ) to clear streets and roads for their neighbors . Does the Historical Society have a good collection of these type of pictures from that event ?   
Suzy
: 429

« #2 : August 11, 2011, 10:21:27 AM »

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/fhs/tornado.html for more photos of the tornado damage...

:D  Suzy
« : August 11, 2011, 10:26:31 AM Henry »
Dick Brown
: 414

« #3 : August 11, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »

Thanks to you , Suzy for posting this collection .          Wonder if there are any pictures of the path that one divergent section of the storm traveled along , which damaged the barns where the Domingues were living , tore up the Bellows Sugar Woods and John Shedd's Barns , Reggie's Egg Buildings , Hubbert's house and Sam's property , and moved across that little valley passing by Bob Gates House , where it moved the chimney a few inches away from that building , and dropped a number of trees surrounding the Reservoir , as opposed to the second path which came up the river, damaging the roof of the new addition at the school , trees on the Main Street through the village ,the Parsonage at the foot of Mill Hill , and finally ,the third path which was on the other side of the Lamoille and heavily damaged trees and buildings from Georgia Mountain to Rt. 104 ???   The strange thing was that in between these paths of destruction there was virtually little damage to buildings or other property , and no one was injured from the entire storm !!!
Suzy
: 429

« #4 : August 11, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »

I'd love to take credit for posting them, but really, I think Henry must have done it.  I just remembered they were here on this wonderful website....
Hope you're all having a great day!
Suzy
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #5 : August 12, 2011, 01:16:55 AM »

I was there,,, nice timing, eh?

Pale white kid from Alaska dodging earthquakes lands smack in the middle of a tornado.

Where were MY flying monkies and Ruby slippers?? Huh?
: [1]  
« previous next »
: