Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:50:22 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Look Who's Graduating
« previous next »
: [1]
: Look Who's Graduating  ( 1953 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 22, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »

The St. Albans Messenger published a nice article on Elaine Preston, written by Jessie Forand, Messenger Staff Writer in its Weekend Edition, Saturday Oct. 22, 2011 and Sunday, Oct. 23, 2011

Fairfax woman earns a diploma as octogenarian
By JESSIE FORAND - Messenger Staff Writer

ST ALBANS - It's a story not uncommon to the area - a child, born in the 1930s, leaves school to help on the family farm. But for one local woman, the time has come to receive the diploma she wasn't able to get so many years ago.

Her brothers didn't care for farming, said Elaine Preston, of Fairfax. Out of a family of 12 children, the four girls tended the farm with their father. That meant leaving school after eighth grade.

Preston laughed as she confessed that back then she wouldn't have wanted to go to school anyway.

Life, however, has a way of changing situations and even attitudes.

Eventually a brother, returning from military service, worked on the farm and Preston was free to get a job at Eveready (now Energizer) in St. Albans. She also worked at Champlain Cable and Fonda.

She now works, at age 81, at the Country Pantry Diner. "I can't stay retired," she said with a laugh. She enjoys.being with people too much.

Just last year a friend, who Preston said may be just a bit psychic, recommended that she go back to school. "Do you know something I don't know?" Preston had asked. But after thinking about it for a couple of weeks, she enrolled at the Vermont
Adult Learning Center in St. Albans for the Adult Diploma Program (ADP).

Preston was met with a bit of skepticism at the quick decision. Her husband, Duane, said he didn't say much at first. He
remembers thinking, "If she wants to try it let her go." He confesses, however, that he was unsure how long she would stick with
it.

But now she's finished, and Duane is thrilled.

"It's amazing," he said, "I'm proud of her, she did a hell of a job."

Now, after just 18 months, Elaine is set to receive her diploma. It will come at a ceremony next Thursday that will coincide with a
ribbon cutting for the school's new addition. Gov. Peter Shumlin will attend, as a guest, and Preston - in full robe and graduation regalia - will get what she worked so hard to achieve.

The ADP system revolves around a series of five research papers, with themes including "personal profile," "getting a job," "represent yourself," "money matters," and "here's to health." Students complete each project and create a portfolio of their work.

The curriculum allows students to follow one of two tracks; preparation for college or the work force. Preston chose the workforce path, which she admitted felt a bit weird, since she had never had a problem getting a job.

Because she'd been away from school for years, Preston first completed some skill-building work. Math was the hardest subject for her, but the school's educational advisor, Cindy Samuelson, said Preston was highly motivated and "absolutely did not give up," when faced with obstacles.

"I am a better speller now than I ever was," Preston said, one of the unexpected bonuses from the program. Though telephone texting has helped with that, too.

She 'also liked the one-on-one teaching style that is common today but something that wasn't practiced her first time around in school. She also was amazed with what she was able to recall from her childhood education.

School staff referred to Preston as a star student, unique because of much more than her age. Samuelson said of her, "She's your friend right away."

When first meeting Preston, Samuelson said she didn't pay attention to her birthdate, but figured her to be in her 60s. Then, when working on her enrollment forms, she realized that Elaine had been born the same year - 1931 -- as her own father. Elaine's looks and personality make one believe she is much younger.

Instructor Kristy Hancox Boutin believes Preston was good for the younger students; speaking with them to make them feel more comfortable and inspiring all.

And everyone who worked with Preston agreed - she is motivated, funny, and she loves shoes.

Preston isn't sure if she will continue with her education from this point. she's very busy. But if she does, a computer course would
likely come next.

Also, she really wants an iPad.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: