Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 10:32:22 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Its Time To Buy A New Car - Presidents Day
« previous next »
: [1]
: Its Time To Buy A New Car - Presidents Day  ( 3377 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 19, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »

I was thinking as I saw a few ads on television and in the paper, this is supposed to be the time of the big sales on cars, if there is such a thing.  I remember back in 1975 when we had a big old 9 passenger plymouth station wagon - That car was was really hard on gas, but gas in those days was not as expensive as it was hard to get.  We all had 5 gallon cans of gas in our garages and I remember I was car pooling.  Maryann used to go up the where Nan's is now when I was gone to work and get gas, having to wait in line.  They wouldn't let you fill up, I think you could get $2 worth at a time.  Not a fun time.

We decided we would look at a more fuel efficient car, so ended up getting one of the new Volkswagen Rabbits - It was a green standard shift and that is what Maryann drove to work.  On Valentines day in 1978, we went out to Hungerfords and bought another one - You do have to know though that Volkswagen was not a place where you could ever get a good deal, Presidents Day or not and Ellsworth Moore who was the salesman would not back down on his price, so being a dyed in the wool Volkswagen Family, we did buy another one, later to also trade in the big old 1975 Plymouth Fury Station wagon for a Little Plymouth Horizon.

I have been looking for Paper Plates, but so far haven't seen any new cars going by the house, at least that I could notice.  I did hear one dealer in Burlington say that they expected to sell around 30 cars yesterday - That's a lot of new cars, especially at the prices nowadays.

Some 50 - 55 years ago, I would have been making the rounds of the car dealers, seeing what they had to offer - nowadays, I have no interest in looking at new cars, just hope mine last another 5 - 10 years after which I don't expect I will be driving.

Henry Raymond
kpplus2

« #1 : February 19, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »

Good story Henry,

I remember as a kid my mom bought a 1970 something Monte Carlo. Summer time you had to put a towel down as not to burn your skin on the seats. They say February is the slowest car buying month of the year and dealers will put out the red carpet to "help" you into a new car. I was looking a Handy's the other day and could not believe the prices of new cars. I don't know how anybody can afford 40-50k for a ride. Thats over half of what I paid for my first rental property years ago. Cars and suv's have come so far but in reality gas milage has not increased a whole lot in my opinion. These new suv's/cars are getting 18mpg. I would hate to see families have to choose gas over milk if gas keeps going up.
Have a good day
Keith
Kathleen
: 167

« #2 : February 21, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »

I remember that stationwagon very well, as that was the vehicle you had when you came to tow my VW Bug with a stiff hitch when I was stuck on the side of the interstate in Springfield and then someone hit the Bug while you were towing it around Barre. Totalled my Bug...is that why you had to get rid of the stationwagon?
logical
: 141

« #3 : February 21, 2012, 12:42:06 PM »

Henry - a lot of dealers actually issue actual license plates for new cars now.  So you will not see as many paper plates on new vehicles.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: