Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:39:24 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Getting Ready For Sandy
« previous next »
: [1]
: Getting Ready For Sandy  ( 4673 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 29, 2012, 07:57:48 AM »

Well, I went down last night and picked up 5 gallons of gasoline for my generator.  Not as much pressure to run it this time of year as during cold weather when I need the furnace or spring run offs when I need the sump pumps running.  Got the old Fairfield Ridge lamps out and washed the glass chimney.  Everytime I use those think about how little light we used to have back in the old days.  We had on lamp that hung on the wall that had a chrome reflector on it that helped brighton the room just a bit.  We also had several kerosene lanterns that Dad would hang in the barn and of course there was the one lantern we use to have with  special red reflector that we used to hang on the buggy or sleigh.  That did not show that much light, but at least other people knew there was somebody ahead of them or coming up behind them.

Looks like we have got from this afternoon until tomorrow afternoon, with mainly high winds.  Sure would be nice if we did not lose power, but any way I look at it, I am by far luckier than most.

Henry Raymond
lena6
: 357

« #1 : October 29, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »

Henry, you are aging yourself. 
Trekr
: 140

« #2 : October 29, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »

Nothing wrong with the good old days Henry. Just remember that these are somebody's good old days ;)
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #3 : October 29, 2012, 12:01:32 PM »

Depending on the weather station you are monitoring, this impacts the potential severity of the impending storm.  The fact is that we will be impacted but the severity is yet to be determined.  With this in mind the Fairfax Fire Department is not taking any changes in being prepared.  All of our equipment is at the ready and contigency plans to staff the station with personnel are prepared if need be.  Lt. Raymond has ensured that all of our saws are filed and ready for service, generators have been run and other necessary supplies are available.  

Please take the time to prepare your homes and families understanding that there will be an impact to our region from this storm.  I have pasted in a great link for emergency preparedness that not only can apply to the current state but also for winter snow storms and severed thunderstorms that hit our region.  

If you see downed power lines do not approach them as the ground around them could be energized as pose a potentially lethal dose of electricity.  Use extreme caustion if clearing limbs ensuring they are not near or entangled with power lines.  Keep in mind even cable and telephone lines can become charged conducters especially if they should snap and wrap around charged transmission lines.  

The basics of an emergency supply kit should include but is not limited to:

•Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
•Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
•Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
•Flashlight and extra batteries
•First aid kit
•Whistle to signal for help
•Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
•Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
•Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
•Manual can opener for food
•Local maps
•Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/prepare/ready.php

Justin Hayes, CFI
Fire Chief
Fairfax Fire Dept.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #4 : October 29, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »

Thanks, Chief Hayes, thanks Lt. Raymond, thanks Fairfax Fire Department
and thank you to their families that support those who help us.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : October 29, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »

Wind Gusts reached a little over 30 mph between 6 and 6:30 p.m.  Strangely enough the wind seems to be coming from the East, however my unorthodox way of checking the direction is watching which direction the wind is blowing my leaves.  Lawn is now pretty clear after Rich's help topped off by Mother Nature.  Hoping, Hoping, Hoping, I don't lose power.

Henry Raymond
nhibbard
: 393

« #6 : October 29, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »

I was out about an hour ago and the weather was beautiful. The moon was bright and nothing to speak of on the way over to Georgia except a few extra leaves in the road.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: