Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:50:01 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Holiday/Winter Fire Safety
« previous next »
: [1]
: Holiday/Winter Fire Safety  ( 2257 )
Fireman David
: 41

« : November 30, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »

It is almost December, and the ground is covered in white.

With this many family's are starting to show their holiday spirit, indoors & outside by putting up Holiday Lights and decorations.

I would like to take this chance to remind everyone of a few Holiday & Winter Safety Tips;

If your Holiday traditions include finding that perfect, aromatic, bushy, green tree, and bringing it into your home, I would like to share some safety tips for natural trees.

-When selecting a location for your tree, be sure to keep it away from sources of heat.
-Decorate your tree with non-flammable decorations.
-Use only lighting evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
-Inspect lights for frayed wire or other defects before use.
-Do not leave lights plugged in overnight, or when you are away from the house.
-Keep your tree watered!!!!!!
-When the tree becomes dry, discard it promptly.

Also a reminder, make sure your smoke detectors are working properly. Test all smoke alarms once a month. Change your batteries at least once a year (even if it is hardwired with a battery back-up). Many authorities are now recommending changing batteries twice a year (when you change your clocks for Daylight Savings).

When testing your smoke detectors check how old they are. Smoke detectors only have a 10 year service life before they need to be replaced. Check the back of the detector for a sticker or stamp indicating its date of manufacture. If it does not have any date markings it is well over 10 years old.
Most Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors, and combination Smoke/CO detectors have a 5 year service life.

When hanging holiday lights outdoors;

-Check the tag to make sure lights are rated for outdoor use, some are only rated for indoors (dry locations).
-Ensure lights are plugged into a GFCI protected power source.
-Do not exceed manufactures recommendations for number of strings plugged into each other (usually 3).
-If using extension cords, make sure they are rated for outdoor use.
-Avoid placing ends of cords in a location that they will be directly exposed to water.
-DO NOT run cords through doorways or windows....this can cause damage to the power cord, shorting out the wires, and starting an electrical fire.

Home heating;

-If you have not already had your heating appliances and chimneys checked/cleaned, please think about having this done.
-If you burn wood, please dispose of your ashes in a safe manner. Use a metal container to transport your ashes from your wood stove/fireplace to a safe location outdoors.
-Plastic pails and cardboard boxes can catch fire.
-DO NOT leave ashes in house or in garage!!
-Hot coals can continue to smolder producing heat, smoke and Carbon Monoxide.
-If hot coals are placed near combustible items a fire can occur.
-If you have a fireplace keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening, to prevent hot embers or sparks from jumping out, unwanted material from going in, and help prevent the possibility of burns to occupants.

Frozen water pipes;

-Never try to thaw them with a blow torch or other open flame.
-The open flame or heat transferred through the pipe could ignite any nearby combustible materials, or even start a fire within the space inside a wall, which may not be immediately detected.

Plan and practice how you would exit your house in an emergency.
Know two ways out of every room.

For more information on Home Fire Safety and Fire Safety based activities for children please visit the US Fire Administrations web site;

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/

Wishing you all a Happy and Fire Safe Holiday Season,

Fireman David,
Fairfax Fire Department
: [1]  
« previous next »
: