Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 03:49:33 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Is the wish book still alive and well?
« previous next »
: [1]
: Is the wish book still alive and well?  ( 4265 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 23, 2012, 07:05:42 AM »

Was sitting here thinking this morning about my priority changes for christmas over the years.  I have no thoughts of any gifts this christmas.  Just can't wait for all my family to arrives I can give them a big hug.  In my early years as a child I spent hour upon hour going through the wish books that came in the mail.  Sears roebuck was my favorite, followed by Montgomery wards, then spiegles.  That sears wish book got pretty dog eared from my constant reviewing and wishing until the new one for the next Christmas came.  In later years we still got them and used to save them for the grandchildren to circle what they wanted.  Nowadays, the boys both teenagers check their wishes on the Internet.

We used to get lots of Catalina in the mail, but now get very few.  I do however get plenty of email which I can trash pretty quickly and I am sure is much cheaper for companies to advertise with.

Henry Raymond
Sue W.
: 167

« #1 : December 23, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »

I loved the "wish books" too.  Ours were in high demand with 4 kids in the house. We used to circle the things we had our eye on, in hopes of finding it under the tree.   I really enjoy getting together with my family during Christmas.  I hope you will have a very happy and healthy Christmas with your family.
Judi
: 508

« #2 : December 23, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »

Oh yes the wish books at Christmas. I remember them well. Sears and Montgomery Ward toy catalogs.  We got to cut out what we wanted (with paper scissors) and put the pieces folded up in a bowl. In the weeks before Christmas we got to pick one piece of paper from the bowl and that was to be our gift from Santa. I found out in later years that the gifts were from my grandparents who could afford them much more that my folks could with six children.  We got a lot of hand made items such as clothes, wooden trucks and hand made doll clothes for my tiny tears doll. I also remember getting a lot of board games such as Uncle Wiggley and Old Maid playing cards.  I am rambling, Henry you brought up special memories, have a blessed Christmas everyone. :)
: [1]  
« previous next »
: