Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 12:26:14 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Looking For The Old McMasters Place
« previous next »
: [1]
: Looking For The Old McMasters Place  ( 5131 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 07, 2007, 09:55:54 AM »

Hi All,

I have uploaded some photos of the Old McMasters Place which from what I can see from an old Map in the Town Office was up on the Nichols Road if you take the first road of the loop then at the top of the hill take a right.  It showed two McMaster Homesteads, however in 1871 it only showed a place owned by S. Place.  For those of you familiar with the Nichols Road, check out the pictures I have put up on my photo gallery and let me know if there are any remnants of the building and where you think it might be by clicking on the following link:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/photos/McMaster
« : February 25, 2009, 05:28:58 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #1 : June 07, 2007, 12:10:16 PM »

Henry,
It reall hard to tell from some of these.  But, I am thinking that this could be what is/was the Nichols farm at the very end (St. Albans side) of Nichols Rd.  Not sure how long it has been the Nichols Farm....I maybe wrong due to it is called the Nichols Rd......
I do know at the dead end part (Seymour Rd., Nichols Rd. Extension, etc...) there are numerous homesteads, cellar holes.  And there area some apple trees.  (This is where I grew up, so I know all the woods in that area very well.) But, the terrian does not look the same.  Although there are a few spots that look similar.  The Fairfax side of Nichols Rd., does not have the 'flatness" that these pictures are showing.  (Due to I think Beaver Meadow Brook that fllows through the area just past the Stockwells.)
It could also possibly be the home where the Legault/Ladue Family lived, about 1/2 way between the two entrances.  The pics, don't show the huge tree that would be in the front yard.....

Can you get a copy of the map???

I also recall hearing that at one point the Nichols Rd., was the only route from Georgia to St. Albans, you can follow it all the way to the interstate.  Its a trail now, but still easy to see.  And from the Oakland Station Rd., you can see it leading through the fields ad back towards Fairfax..

Brian
« : June 07, 2007, 12:19:01 PM NorthFairfaxBoy »

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : June 07, 2007, 01:45:20 PM »

Hi Brian,

Click on the following link to see the 1857 Map and look near the District 14 School:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/photos/fairfax_maps/fk06_FFX?full=1

Click on the following link to see the 1871 Map and look near the District 14 School and you will see S. Place:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/photos/fairfax_maps/north_fairfax?full=1

I have found a lot of discrepancies between the 1857 and 1871 Maps as to which side of the road, etc., but maybe this will help you place just where I am talking about.

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy

« #3 : June 08, 2007, 07:31:52 AM »

Hard to place it.  This also could be in the area of the Larry & Nancy Comettes' place.  There are apple trees in the back, and lots of open fields.  The house next door to them, could possibly be the McMasters.  Although, by the photos it looks to be that the home is on a slight knoll.  Now I am VERY curious!! So by looking at the map, the location looks like it could be at the top of the hill near the swamp closer to the Muirs' property. I'll have to do some walking throught the woods the next time I am at my parents.  And take some photos of some other cellar holes. 
« : June 08, 2007, 08:25:13 AM NorthFairfaxBoy »

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
NorthFairfaxBoy

« #4 : June 08, 2007, 09:49:28 AM »

Just sent an email (should have thought of that earlier) to my father, who hunts regularly behind the area where the map shows this property is...as Paul Harvey says....

"Stand by for news."

Brian Farris

Henry
Administrator

« #5 : June 08, 2007, 11:16:26 AM »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for all your efforts.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : June 15, 2007, 07:21:06 AM »

Hi All,

I received some additional information from Donna Meunier:

Henry,
The McMaster farm was on the right and left side of the Nichols  Road as you turn off of King Road. If you look at the 1857 map it shows a Mcmaster on the right and on the left. The house on the left I believe is 333 Nichols Road. The house in the picture does resemble the house in the picture the lady from Idaho sent you, also the background in the picture would fit there. The sheds and attached barns are not there. There was a barn across the road that burned. This could have been built and the other barns torn down that were attached to the house, or the house could have burned and this is a replacement although I would guess the existing house is very old.  The house on the map showing on the right does not exist and I would guess has not been there for sometime. Brian Ferris could look for the cellar hole. If you look on the 1871 map the 2 houses show up as S. Place. I would know the McMaster farm as Horace LeClair's farm although some had been sudivided off before he purchased. Some people may also know it as the Thomas Cross Farm (before my time!)
Donna

Thanks for the information Donna.  Brian, should you happen to go up there some time along and happen to have your camera with you, could you snap a picture for me and send it to me and I will post both the pictures up here.  I don't know who lives there, but I am sure if you ask them they would let you take the photo.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: