Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 11:23:42 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Town Meeting Article 2 and School Meeting Article 3
« previous next »
: [1]
: Town Meeting Article 2 and School Meeting Article 3  ( 3608 )
trussell
: 870

« : March 05, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »

I have a question that I'm hoping someone could answer- Article 3 of the school meeting ballot asks "Shall the voters of said school district authorize the school directors to borrow money for school expenses in anticipation of revenue for the ensuing year?" What exactly does this mean?  That the school is operating on loans until tax money arrives in November?  The School's fiscal year appears to begin on July 1 so am I correct in thinking that from July 1 until tax money arrives, the school doesn't necessarily have the money to operate if this article is voted down?  Is this a standard practice?  If so I don't think it's a very good method and should be addressed.

Also out of curiosity, the town budget that we voted on for "2014"- Is that the amount to cover the calendar year of 2014?  So the town basically operates without an approved budget from December until town meeting?  If I remember correctly this was brought up by an outside auditing company several years ago and it was suggested that the town's fiscal year be shifted (I think to April 1).

Any thoughts?

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #1 : March 05, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »

The second question about Fiscal Year is correct. They run on a budget that is not approved until Town Meeting.  The Fiscal year I am told is July 1st to June 30th if they switch.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
nhibbard
: 393

« #2 : March 05, 2014, 07:20:03 PM »

That's where the line of credit comes in. We run a chunk of the year off prior surplus and the LOC until the future anticipated revenues.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: