Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 09:24:10 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Didn't Realize F-16 National Guard Pilot Was Doing Something Wrong
« previous next »
: [1]
: Didn't Realize F-16 National Guard Pilot Was Doing Something Wrong  ( 3219 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 10, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »

I don't know if you saw the F-16s flying over Fenway Park at the opening game right after the National Anthem - I did and naturally thought it was part of the display.

Vt. Guard pilot grounded over Fenway stunt

By Wilson Ring, The Associated Press

MONTPELIER — A Vermont Air National Guard pilot who took part in a flyover of Fenway Park during opening day ceremonies has been grounded for making an improper maneuver near the park, a Guard spokesman said Thursday.

The F-16 pilot flew under and over the other three F-16s in the formation at about 1,200 feet over Boston on Tuesday afternoon because he was going too fast and was late joining the formation, Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Lloyd Goodrow said.

“It is a legitimate maneuver. It is normally done at 5,000 feet or above,” Goodrow said. “The crowd loved it, but it was not a planned maneuver.”

Goodrow would not release the name of the pilot.
People at Fenway Park or watching the Boston Red Sox’s opening day ceremonies on television saw three planes flying wing tip to wing tip when the fourth plane approached from behind and then appeared to curve around the other aircraft.

Goodrow said it was not an acrobatic stunt.

“At no time was the public in danger,” Goodrow said. “Our pilot is a very skilled pilot. He maintained full control of the airplane.”

Red Sox spokesman John Blake said Thursday the team hadn’t heard any complaints about the maneuver.

“I think we were made aware of it today by the Green Mountain Boys,” Blake said Thursday. “Nobody here has had a lot of time to find out what happened.”

He said Guard officials saw the maneuver on television.

“We all said, ’Wow, that’s not right.’ All the aviators knew what was going on,” Goodrow said. “They said, ’That was a bit unusual.’”

The pilot was suspended after he landed back at the Burlington International Airport in South Burlington.

“The pilot has been grounded, not as a punishment but so we can provide remedial training in tactics and procedures so this situation does not happen again,” Goodrow said. “He might have made other choices to rejoin the formation.”

There was no word on how long the pilot would remain grounded.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #1 : April 11, 2008, 07:30:35 AM »

There is a video on You Tube, although it doesn't show what the pilot did quite as well as other videos I have seen.  More on this can be found at:

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #2 : April 11, 2008, 10:56:49 AM »

They even mentioned it on the KTLA Morning News this morning. One of the anchors had seen it and thought it was part of the show and thought it was great.
If they did release the guy's name, he just might become a celebrity. He would probably be on Letterman.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : April 12, 2008, 07:20:30 AM »

'False start' sparked pilot's Fenway gaffe - Click on link below for details:

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: