Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:31:34 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Sold Car In Mid 60s For Less Than 2008 Gas Fill-Up
« previous next »
: [1]
: Sold Car In Mid 60s For Less Than 2008 Gas Fill-Up  ( 2599 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 26, 2008, 07:57:03 AM »

I remember when I was younger, going to the gas station and getting one dollar's worth of gas.  Had a quarter of a tank of gas yesterday, so filled her up, for a grand total of $50.97 up here in Fairfax at Nan's.

Gas was $3.559 for regular.  Noticed when I was in St. Albans earlier that gas down there was $3.599, so I guess you could say, with tongue in cheek, I got a good deal.

Back in 1958, I bought a 1947 Chrysler for $100 from one of my coworkers and drove it until the mid 1960s.  I sold it to Howard Brooks, who lived up where Alberta Clokey lives now for $50, which is less than what it cost me to fill my tank with gas yesterday.

Back in the late 1970s it was a different scenario with gas.  It wasn't so much the cost then as being able to get the gas.  A group of us used to car pool to IBM and we each had a 5 gallon can of gas at home, just in case of emergency.  I think most gas stations used to allow you to get a maximum of $2 for gas and Maryann used to take my car when I was gone to work and go down to the gas station where Nan's is now and wait in line to get my $2 worth of gas.  I had a big old 1975 nine passenger Plymouth Fury V8 at that time and suspect I probably used most of the $2 worth of gas waiting in line, although I don't know how much gas was per gallon was back then.

As bad as the price of gas seems (is), I did see a chart somewhere that showed gas prices, adjusted for inflation over the years and in that light, there was a time that gas compared to wages at that time was about equal to what it is now.

« : April 26, 2008, 08:06:43 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : April 26, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »

I worked for Ron LeDoux in the summer of 1977, when he owned where Cliff Ross is now. People would come in and get $3 worth. Gas was 59.9 cents a gallon and they would get 5 gallons.
I got a real education that summer. One was to try and remember to put the gas cap back on the car after filling them up.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: