Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 05:42:40 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  IRS Warns Of Stimulus Refund Scams
« previous next »
: [1]
: IRS Warns Of Stimulus Refund Scams  ( 2352 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 29, 2008, 06:58:29 PM »

Scammers are already using the economic stimulus payments as a means to try to get your personal information.

IRS Warns Of Stimulus Refund Scams

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) officials said they have already had reports of scammers calling taxpayers and requesting their Social Security and bank account numbers. The scammers often claim the IRS needs personal information to get the taxpayer a rebate check.

Scammers are also using the Internet to try to pilfer taxpayers' pockets.

IRS officials said there is an e-mail circulating labeled "2008 Economic Stimulus Refund" that asks taxpayers to fill out a form in order for them to have the money  deposited in their account.

IRS officials are calling this an identity theft scheme and said the scammers aim to get your direct deposit information from your tax return, not through e-mail.

IRS officials said they use tax returns to process the payments, and will not contact taxpayers by phone or e-mail. For more information on the scams or the economic stimulus refund, check out www.irs.gov.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: