Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:19:43 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Vermont Woodworking School In Fairfax??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vermont Woodworking School In Fairfax??  ( 3693 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 08, 2008, 03:10:34 PM »

I remember reading or hearing something about this, but can't remember any of the details.  The April 16, 2008 Development Review Board Meeting has quite a bit of discussion on this.  Anyone know where they are talking about in the minutes that you can view if you wish at:

Henry Raymond
7F5
: 44

« #1 : May 08, 2008, 06:59:02 PM »

Hi Henry,

Talked with someone on the DRB. This site seem to be the Old Wimble Farm where Morgans used to live.
« : May 08, 2008, 07:13:36 PM Henry »
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : May 08, 2008, 07:16:02 PM »

I knew the place as the Giddings Farm - Sounds logical and would make a good place with plenty of room.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : May 09, 2008, 08:11:31 AM »

Of course, I would be a little remiss if I didn't stroll down memory lane again on this.  I have received several notes, all telling me that the place the Development Review Board is talking about is what I remember as the Old Giddings Place.  Haven't driven up by there in a long time, but back in the 50s there used to be a little building in the pasture just beyond the farm going toward Cambridge where Maple Producers from around the area used to bring their barrels of Maple Syrup.  I am not sure whether it was a Cooperative or what, but during that time I was working at Vermont Confectionery, a candy manufacturer, and Fred would come down and my boss and Fred would dicker over the price of the syrup.  We used the syrup to make Maple Candy.  Our candy maker was a man who had worked at the trade from the age of 15 and he and his wife lived in Shelburne near the Windmill Motel.  His name was Frank Delorme and he worked with his wife, Florence (McGreevy) Delorme at the 67 King Street 3 story candy maker for many years.  Frank was the father of Kenneth Delorme who used to live here in town.

In regards to the woodworking school, the town of Fairfax had many, many carpenters.  Carleton Minor who used to live on School Street, was an outstanding cabinet maker.  When he pieced lumber together, he did such a precise job that you had to look very closely indeed to see where the boards came together.  We also had carpenters that lived here in town that worked on projects like Northgate down in Burlington.  I believe some of those were Frank Rooney, Ralph McGue, who lived on the corner of School & Main, Charlie McArdle, who lived where Tom Ferrick lives now and I am sure many others. 

We renovated the Old St. Luke's Church a number of times, which for those of you new in town, is now the Steeple Market.  There was no job that couldn't be done with the talent we had here in town.  Carpenters, Plumbers, Roofers, they all worked together.  Every once in a while, there was a "Forgive Me Lord," because of the language, there might even have been a beer or two drank in the Church and I am absolutely sure there was a cigarette or two smoked.  For sure, Charlie could not have worked without his pipe in his mouth.

Bottom line, the work got done - The Cost - Nothing for labor - Materials, well sometimes these carpenters would bring home scrap materials and you would be surprised what they could do with them.

I'll bet some of these old time Fairfax Woodworkers will be trying to put in their two cents to the instructors of The Vermont Woodworking School when it comes to Fairfax.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: