Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:24:57 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Some Truly Nice Neighbors
« previous next »
: [1]
: Some Truly Nice Neighbors  ( 3370 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 29, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »

We kind of dwell on the bad things that have been happening in St. Albans as of late, but this past Wednesday, I went to St. Albans to gather with some of my classmates in support of one of them who recently lost their daughter unexpectedly because of an aneurism. First of all, we graduated from St. Mary's High School in St. Albans, some 57 years ago and most of us are hanging around the 75 year age bracket.  It was only a class of 28 students, however a number of us never left the area, so it was nice for us locals to get with the classmate from San Antonio, Tx who lost his daughter.

While we were visiting, it was brought up that a neighbor there on High Street was undergoing chemotheraphy treatments.  She is a single mother in her 40s with 13 & 15 year old sons, who definitely have a pretty good appetite.  The mother's chemotheraphy treatments don't leave her much energy to fix meals, so one of the neighbors coordinates with those who have volunteered to provide meals something for the mother and her two teen age boys every night.  The mother has one more chemotheraphy treatment coming up and I am sure is very grateful for those wonderful neighbors.

Kind of reminds me back a number of years ago in 1975 when Shirley Simmons, wife of John Simmons who owned the IGA Store where Vermont Ventures is now, was taken care of by friends and neighbors in her last days.  John & Shirley had three small children at that time.

Over the years, here in Fairfax, things have changed, and I suspect it is because of the rapid growth.  We don't really know who our neighbors are that are in need and I came to that realization when Dan put up the note wondering who might be in need of those extra garden vegetables.  Not sure just when our Old Overseer Of The Poor position was discontinued here in town, but I remember seeing in the old town reports where even wood was provided to some families for heat.

Now, I am not a person in need and have to admit that I actually feel just a bit guilty when I accept, but have had people call and ask if I could use some things and I am very appreciative of it.  If any of you do know of someone in need, if you let me know, I will keep it confidential, but if someone contacts me, I will at least be able to give somebody a lead and it will do somebody in need some good.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : August 29, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »

Speaking of wood Henry, i've been mulling over an idea ..... donated fire wood for those approaching urgent need this winter.  I don't want naythign to do with who gets what when, i'd rather just work to get some folk together to do the cutting, hauling and delivering parts.  I know that in recent years we've seen some pecualiar weather.  There's a lot of downed trees all over the place.  A few generous neighbors with a few cords worth of downed tress on their property and we could get something decent going.

As always though, the work and travel to work daily grind makes such things hard to materialize despite the obvious good intention and GREAT HELP it would be.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
SusieJ
: 14

« #2 : August 30, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »

The wood idea is GREAT. Lamoille County United Way is doing something similar and they are getting national recognition from CBS -- I just spoke to Jon Gailmore, a board member, about the program they are doing.

I am working with a Food & Fuel Coalition in Franklin & Grand Isle Counties to develop solutions for people in need this winter... if you'd like to speak further about your idea -- let me know and I can put you in touch with the right folks on my end!

Susie Posner Jones
dearon
: 233

« #3 : September 19, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »

IF you have some sturdy person with a chain saw we will  donate a cord of wood for this cause.  We have a few cherry & maple trees that were broken in a wind storm.  We no longer cut our own as health doesn't permit us to do that now.  Our son has been doing this for us for the past 7 years.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: