Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 02:20:29 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Vandalism At The Rec Park
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vandalism At The Rec Park  ( 4562 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 11, 2008, 07:57:44 AM »

Got the following note from Katrina regarding vandalism at the Fairfax Recreation Park:

"Henry -

Hi! I've noticed you been highlighting vandalism and other issues in Milton and surrounding towns - we have a issue here that I think you might want to put it up on your website -  I was writing to you first because I thought you might want to go take some pictures - We are continuing to get benches and picnic tables thrown in the river from the rec park - I think Gary has gone in and fetched them out at least 7 times - it's getting riduculous - the barrier for vehichles was ripped out too (Gary finally found it today 20 feet into the woods) Gary and Randy Devine will be pulling out the benches and table tomorrow - this time it's in the middle of the Lamoille not even on the banks... I was mentioning this tonight to someone that works at the school and they said they are also having issues with profanity written on the playground alot - "

The sound carries pretty well up from the River, so if you happen to see something that doesn't look quite right down there or hear some unusual noises, take note and report it.  I haven't been down there walking since early July, but did notice that the first bench as you go in from the Covered Bridge seemed to get moved around and the last time I saw it, it was on the River Side of the path, but looked like someone had moved it there so they could sit and watch the River.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : September 11, 2008, 09:29:55 AM »

Speaking from experience, the vandals in the area are very ...... daring shall i say.  Daring and blatantly disrespectful of community property.  The Fletcher Elementary school has gone through this fo ryears in differing levels of intensity.  Last year was thw worst year on record with over $2000 of damages.  ( that's just the soccer related areas - it doesn't count the damage to the little aleague area/equipemnt).  That sort of money flying out the window tends to stir action.  The soccer club and School board finally got together and approached it from a few different angles - Securing the premise in the form of better surveillance equpment ( including new cameras that can see a face at night from quite a distance as well as hidden cameras) and also initiated a fence project ( currently 50% done).  They also worked with local and state law enforcement to both investigate leads, increase patrol coverage and randomize it's times.  Lastly, the soccer club engaged in dialgue with some local youth and ATV riders about what was happening, who might be doing it, and how we might be able to address it. 
Some would automatically think it's kids without parental supervision, BUT i caution aganist that easy and lazy assumption.  Some results of the investigation is that there's multiples but seperate groups in play here.  Though there are some local youth suspected, the Police have found evidence that some of the vandalism was done by 19+ youth.

My suggestion to the Rec department - anchor everything permanently.  Other towns/cities use cement pcinic tables as they can't be moved, broken easily, and graphitti can be sandblasted off if need be.  Barriers should be painted with unique paint and also anchored solidly - thusif they try to remove it, they'll need a vehicle at least and chance damage to their vehicle - which can then be traced in the next few days.

Unfortunately, don't know how it easy it would be, OR cost-effective to install cameras - let alone where you'd put them.  the Police said to hide them out of site as opposed to a highly visible deterrent approach - thus getting results for prosecution rather than hoping to deter.

I liked Henry's suggestion - COMMUNITY involvement   It's always a good thing in these scenarios.  That's another thing the soccer club did , organized citizens patrols and sentries.  There were a few diehard coaches, parents and volunteers as well as a school board member, who literaly staked out the school a few nights a week - one time actually confronting some youth.  I'd say it woulkd be 10x easier to do in farifax as there's neighbors close by and in view of some parts of the park, not to mention about 20x more people in the immediate vicinity ( evidence of how daring these vandals are)

The unfortunate part is spending money on fortifiying/securing the premise when there could be other community-related things to better spend it on.

Good luck Katrina

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : September 12, 2008, 10:42:17 AM »

Yesterday, Don Pigeon had to bring the Town Back Hoe down and together with Gary Stewart and Randy Devine,they got the table & bench (s) out of the Lamoille River.  Our local town & school staff have far better things they could be doing rather than pick up after some pranksters, so it is really important that anyone seeing unusual happenings going on down in the Rec Park report them.  Randy Devine took some photos to give you an idea how Gary Stewart & Don Pigeon got the stuff out of The Lamoille River and as soon as Randy gets the photos developed, I will scan them and put them up for you.

Mean while Eyes & Ears open for activities down there.

Henry Raymond
katrinaantonovich
: 162

« #3 : September 12, 2008, 08:17:30 PM »

Thanks for the support  and information -
Please don't hesistate to contact me at
fairfaxparksandrec@yahoo.com with any information
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #4 : September 12, 2008, 11:46:25 PM »

I will keep an eye out and see if I hear anything Henry.  I work weird hours so when ever I'm in town in the middle of night I make a couple loops.   I usually check the school and play ground and it looks like I will have to add the park to that.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
: [1]  
« previous next »
: