Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:22:19 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  New Culvert Replacement/Repair Technology For Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1]
: New Culvert Replacement/Repair Technology For Fairfax  ( 3171 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 19, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »

If you drive up or down the Fletcher Road this coming Monday, you will probably see Don Pigeon and his Fairfax Road Crew replacing/repairing a culvert that crosses the road between Mary Kay Raymond and J. R. Young's property.  Once they are finished, you will never know the difference.  Don feels that if they were to dig up the road, there would be a long lasting bump and since it is on a slight curve, might not be the best thing in the world.  The State of Vermont already uses this technology, but this will be Don's first attempt at it.

Seen in the pasture on the left is the sleeve that will be pulled through the existing culvert from J. R. Young's side of the road.

Below is the intake side of the culvert from Mary Kay Raymond's side of the road - Should be an interesting project

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : September 19, 2008, 04:51:59 PM »

Hi All,

Got the following note from my daughter over in New Hampshire who is a Civil Engineer:

Hi Dad,

Saw the culvert modification they are going to do by Mary Kay's. This is something I'm very familiar with and is technology that has been around for quite a while (use it a lot more in urban areas where digging up the roads is something we try to avoid). It looks like the existing pipe is a corregated metal pipe and it appears the pipe they will slip through is HDPE (high density polyethylene pipe). Although the pipe that will slip through the existing pipe will seemingly reduce the capacity of the pipe, the material is much smoother and will likely have a very similar capacity. Should be a pretty good place to apply this technology.

Love,
Sharon

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : September 20, 2008, 09:48:01 PM »

HDPE is the way to go now a days.

I JUST got done with dropping in a 600' HDPE "conduit" for a Safeway.
It has a fiber optics cable running through it to transmit data from their remote gas station to the main store.
For some reason in this 21st century they could not transmit data via wireless.

HDPE is virtually corrosion resistant and YOU feel them when you "bump" them with a bucket on a hoe.

I wish they had run the fuel lines supplying the pumps from the tanks in HDPE, but they didn't.
The supply lines were NOT where they were supposed to be and we knocked down the gas station for a day. DEC, EPA, ASSuME.... etc etc.
Clean up, repair, loss revenue. I may have lost money on THAT job.

Last word is HDPE the way to go.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: