Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:25:36 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  July 4th Parade In Fairfax In 1978 or 1979 Photos
« previous next »
: [1]
: July 4th Parade In Fairfax In 1978 or 1979 Photos  ( 4503 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 03, 2005, 08:02:08 AM »

Hi all,

Well, no digital cameras back then, and I have a real problem identifying the photos, but here they are:

The guy driving the tractor looks an awful lot like Don Pigeon in his younger days.

The people on this float are identified as descendants of early Fairfax Settlers and I recognize members of the Wilkins and Leach Families

This float is the Fairfax Girl Scouts - Jim & Jean Groseclose sent me the following note regarding who they think these young girls are:

Thanks for sharing the pictures. In the ones from a day ot two ago indentified as 1978, '79 group Jean and I believe we have identified some of the girl scouts.

The blond girl in the group of 3 (she is the middle girl) at the left end of the trailer we think is Carol Lavallee, don't know about the other two.
The next group on the trailer we believe the blond girl is Dianne Morris(They lived in the Fairfax heights development) and her dad Rick worked at IBM. I think they both died. Then our daughter Karen, not sure about the girl beside her but we think the last girl is Debbie LeClair(Richard's daughter)

Thought we would share this info.with you. Have a great day.
Jim

This one has got me stymied.  I believe the person in the foreground has nothing to do with the truck that says God & Country

This is the BFA Band and I think the guy in the center with the big horn is Glen Clokey

This is the Fairfax Senior Citizens Group of that era

Dorothy (Bovat) King is seated in the chair on the right dressed in black

This is the Fairfax Westford Band - I believe Meredith Gillin is leading it and in the front row is Louise (Potvin) Minor

Dave Derner had a wood working business back in those days and the little blond boy standing up, I believe is Josh Derner

The guy playing the violin is none other than Fritz Carl, a well known violinist in this area at that time

I believe the sign says Franklin County 4-H Club although I can't see 4-H

This is the Fairfax Library Float

This one I am at a lost at as I do not recognize the individual in the car

Chan Cooley's old car never missed a parade, unfortunately I clicked my camera before it got all the way into view

I have photos from other years, but not sure how interesting they would be since we have a lot of new people here in town  -- Also, the quality of the photos is not that great, but I would be happy to put up any photos anyone might have of the old parade days we used to have here in Fairfax on the 4th of July.
« : July 05, 2008, 08:07:35 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : July 05, 2008, 08:15:28 AM »

Back in the 70s, the Fourth of July used to be a really big shin dig here in Fairfax - Just about every local organization had a float and the parade was pretty long for this small town.  They used to reroute traffic so the parade could come right down Main Street.  I believe it started at what is now St. Luke's Church and ended up around J & L's as people lined up along the way to view it.  There was lots of work and ingenuity in the floats.

Somehow, as families got busier, like many other things, it became very difficult to find someone who was willing or had the time to organize and make the parade and Fourth of July celebration happen, so it has long been discontinued.

I thought you might enjoy my bringing up an old post I put up back in 2005.  As you can see, my scan from my old color photos is not too clear, but we thought those color photos were great back in those days.

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #2 : July 07, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »

The photo with Dave Derner the child is his son Jason...he really hasn't changed much.  (I believe Josh has darker hair)

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: