Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 05:21:00 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  WCAX Channel 3 Lays Off Some Employees
« previous next »
: [1]
: WCAX Channel 3 Lays Off Some Employees  ( 9020 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 02, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »

Marcelus Parsons was very emotional tonight and choked up as he announced the following:

"Channel 3 made some reductions in personnel this week and cut some expenses.

Like many companies, we are seeing declining revenues in the current economic crisis. Consequently, we have had to lay off several employees-- some of them familiar faces to you, and friends to us.

The company regrets these layoffs but felt they were unavoidable. Out of respect for their privacy we are not identifying those affected, but we shall miss them, and wish them all the best of luck."

The Burlington Free Press also reported that Gannett will be laying off 10% of their employees - Their revenue is very evident as you see the size of the paper and the ads in it:

Television station WCAX-TV has laid off three employees and cut two vacant jobs this week, owner Peter Martin said Tuesday.

Martin and News Director Marselis Parsons declined to identify the laid-off employees, but Parsons said they include on-air and behind-the-scenes personnel.

“It’s the first time in my 41 years here we’ve had to do this,” Parsons said. “It is extraordinarily painful.”

WCAX has a staff of about 100 full- and part-time employees, Parsons said. The station also made cuts in expenses that will affect all employees, he said.

The South Burlington-based station, like media outlets throughout the country, is facing declining advertising revenues brought on by changes in technology and the recession, Martin said.

Gannett Corp., which owns The Burlington Free Press, announced in October that it plans a 10 percent cut in personnel by early December.
« : December 02, 2008, 08:13:42 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : December 02, 2008, 11:25:05 PM »

I just checked WCAX's staff biography page, and from what I can see, no one's bio is missing.
Not yet, anyway.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Kathleen
: 167

« #2 : December 03, 2008, 10:25:56 AM »

This morning, they announced that Shanna (morning sports commentator) was part of the lay offs and then proceeded to run a taped version of the sports from the previous night's news.  Actually, I think maybe her name is Shawna, but I'm sure everyone who watches, knows who I'm referring to.
« : December 03, 2008, 10:58:54 AM Kathleen »
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #3 : December 03, 2008, 10:40:45 AM »

AHHHHH MAN! 

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
MikeF9

« #4 : December 03, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »

Shawna Lidsky. She's been there a long while.
That's too bad.

MikeF9

« #5 : December 03, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »

I just checked the WCAX bios site. Shawna's bio is gone, as is Rachel Morrow's bio. The third one may be a camera person or someone else behind the scenes.

Jason Elledge
: 31

« #6 : December 03, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »

Hopefully Shawna's brownie company will do well for her.  She will be missed.

http://www.vermontbrowniecompany.com/our-story.html
« : December 03, 2008, 07:10:52 PM Henry »
: [1]  
« previous next »
: