Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:25:06 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Only 76 Days Left
« previous next »
: [1]
: Only 76 Days Left  ( 10943 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 03, 2008, 09:19:23 AM »

Well, only 76 days left until those of you with antennas will need the converter box to watch TV on your old analog TV.  We have satellite, however, should we lose our satellite due to heavy snow or local stations having problems, we find it nice to switch to antenna.  I'm headed for Burlington today and have my coupons in hand, so will pick one up and try it out.  My sister uses only antenna, so this will give me an idea how they work before she tries it.  They say there is nothing to it, so will give it a whirl.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : December 03, 2008, 10:38:38 AM »

Well Henry, i hope you're in an area with clear skys ( meaning not nestled in any hollows, knolls, or nooks) as if you are, you'll get more channels, in BETTER clarity than just a plain antenna can ever deliver. 

Sinced we moved to Fairfax back in 2000, we've lived with 3, 22, and 33.  only 3 was clear of the "snow" and had a decent quality.

Once we got the box, we had 12 channels - 3 & 5 have doubles with only weather and news, 22's double isn't on air yet, 33 has 4 channels - sometimes with 4 different programs on them but mainly 3 different programs going at any given time, and 44 with 2 channels - one more teenage -orientated - one the true fox out of burlington.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
MikeF9
: 1994

« #2 : December 03, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »

What about Canadian channels? Are any of those digital? And can you get any of them with a digital antenna?

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
nick
: 2

« #3 : December 03, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »

I picked up two converter boxes using the rebates. I paid a little more for the second from Best Buy- it was a apex model. The first one I picked up (from Sears) was a magnavox kind. I'd recommend people stay away from that one- the remote is a real chore to use. It's a light gray remote with white letters, unreadable except in bright, direct light.

The apex model has s-video out. I wanted to compare this to the other models, but none of the stores I went to would allow me to open a box to look at the remote to check for common sense placement and layout. I regret buying the magnavox, and another catch with the DTV program- you cannot a terribly designed box them unless it's broke- and then only for the same model.

Interestingly enough, I was only able to get 1 or two channels when using a rabbit ear style antenna indoors. (previously got 3 channels decently with rabbit ears). I then set up an ancient, formerly roof mounted ugly-as-sin antenna, although on the far end of my property. Now I get all the channels mentioned above by Loctavious. (CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, FOX)  The nice thing about the apex model is that the remote has a signal strength button right on the remote, so its easier to figure out optimal placement for the antenna.

Another catch with DTV, you can't split the signal from the antenna with an older splitter- it needs to be a low impedance type of splitter- but even those seem to degrade signal quality somewhat. I ended up running two lines from my antenna to my house for both TV's.

And I didn't get any canadian stations- although I never did with analog. I live in a valley, so I don't get much of a strong signal at all.  CBS comes in the best, and its signal strength is about 55%, and I can get 100% quality from that signal for the most part.
JoeT
: 100

« #4 : December 03, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »

Canada will not be converting to full digital TV until 2011.

CBC english and french both have low power digital channels on air in Montreal.  There are very hard to pick up down here because they are not on Mount Royal and the power of the transmitters is very low.  Currently in Quebec CTV has no digital TV (they do in Toronto, of course).

CBC, along with CTV are expected to have full power digital stations in Montreal sometime on the next two years.  At that point we should be able to get those stations down here in Fairfax (if you have a good channel 6 and 12 signal already).

One important note, if you want to watch Canadian analog TV make sure you get a converter box that has "analog pass through."  This will allow you to watch the analog signal on your TV when the digital box is turned off. ..Hockey Night in Canada is still 'must see TV' in our house!

Regards,
Joe

What about Canadian channels? Are any of those digital? And can you get any of them with a digital antenna?
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #5 : December 03, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »

I got my boxes at Circuit City ( hurry Quick before they're all gone - both the stores and the boxes)  they were a brand called Insignia.  It also has signal strenth option, as well as on-screen menus about the programming and a guide for programming throughout the night - kinda like cable or sat.

I have a once amplified, antenna with 2 directional rods and a flip up UHF.  The two moveable rods broke off, and the amplified part is broken - thus i'm only using the UHF part and i get all the channels i mentioned - i ahve to move the antenna around with int a 8' diamtere aroudn the tv  - usually only 3 or 4 spots to get all stations in clearly.

I live on Goose pond down from the farm myself.  Now i needed to get a new amplified antenna for the basement as could get more than 1 channel down there - probably due to the 3 concrete walls messing with signals coming in.  With the amplified down there - i get all 12 channels i do upstairs.

I just hope we get a few more 'free' channels after the switch - that would be real nice.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
trussell
: 870

« #6 : December 03, 2008, 06:59:46 PM »

I picked up a model at Radio shack last week (not sure what model it is but the remote is easy to use and program!).  I just happened to have a coupon with me, so I think it only cost me $10 or so.  I hooked it up to a small 12" TV in a spare bedroom just to try it out.  With only the single-pole antenna that came with the tv, I get all the locals- 3,5,22,33,44- with excellent reception.  I don't even need to move the antenna around!

So even though I have the huge snow drifts, I guess living towards the top of a hill has it's advantages! :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
MikeF9

« #7 : December 03, 2008, 11:37:47 PM »

Back to the Canadian channels-

The only way to get Ch.6 is if the antenna is on the roof. It's a metal roof, and I don't do heights, so that's out.
I have Dish Network, and I get the NHL network. They show the Hockey Night In Canada games every Saturday night!
But you get a national game, not necessarally the local team-Montreal. Last Saturday, I got the Flyers/Toronto game.
I ended up watching most of the Bruins games anyway.
But I did get to watch Don Cherry between periods!

JoeT

« #8 : December 04, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »

Back to the Canadian channels-

But I did get to watch Don Cherry between periods!

Gotta have the coach...  "I tell ya one thing right now.... that was a CLEAN hit..."

Joe
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #9 : December 04, 2008, 09:49:42 PM »

I wanted to pass along this clip. I mean no disrespect to anyone in their senior years, but I thought it might bring a few chuckles if you haven't seen it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy-pD-M0rY4
Dick Brown
: 414

« #10 : December 04, 2008, 10:30:20 PM »

Julie     I think this lady is the Mayor of Dade City, Florida......either that or she's my neighbor, because she looks familiar and I certainly  empathize with her !!! In fact, probably 80 % of my development feels the same way..........so, no way any of us are leaving CABLE !!!!
MikeF9

« #11 : December 04, 2008, 11:46:02 PM »

That clip is funny. Really funny. Problem is, when I'm her age, there will be some kind of new technology that will baffle me.

Chris Santee
: 2653

« #12 : December 05, 2008, 08:29:09 AM »

I can tell you a lot more about Coach Don Cherry than I can about this tv switch,
but,
The Fairfax News received this e-mail Press Release from
Ann Curran, Vermont Public Television, (802) 655-8059, acurran@vpt.org
(test coordinator):

Test Your TV Dec. 16.  Six VT & NY Stations Team Up to Help Viewers
Prepare for DTV.

The fast-approaching end of analog broadcasting has local TV stations
concerned that many viewers may be unprepared.  In an unprecedented
effort, the stations will team up to broadcast a "Test Your TV" event for
several minutes on Tuesday, Dec. 16, at 7:58 p.m.  Viewers watching the
main digital channel of WCAX, WFFF, WPTZ, WVNY, Mountain Lake PBS and
Vermont Public Television will see a message telling them they are all
set.  Viewers watching the stations' analog signals will see a message
advising them that if they are not watching via cable or satellite, they
will need to connect a digital converter box before the end of analog
broadcasting on Feb. 17, 2009.

To receive digital television (DTV) over the air, viewers need either a
digital TV set or an analog TV set equipped with a converter box and
suitable antenna.  Subscribers to cable or satellite will receive local
full-power TV stations' digital signals without the need for additional
equipment.

During the Dec. 16 test, staff from the local stations will answer
viewers' questions about DTV at a special toll-free number announced
during the test. 

A recent A.C. Nielsen report indicates that 7.4 percent of U.S. households
are not yet prepared.  Viewers in Canada, where analog broadcasting
continues until 2011, are less likely to be ready to keep watching
stations from Vermont and New York. 

Jim Condon, executive director of the Vermont Association of Broadcasters
(VAB), said, "Most viewers who have digital TV sets or have their digital
converter boxes connected are already enjoying clear reception and
multiple digital channels from local stations.  But digital reception can
be tricky for some viewers, especially if they use rabbit ears.  In a
mountainous region like ours, some people need to install a better indoor
or outdoor antenna to continue getting free over-the-air TV.  We're urging
them to connect their boxes and test their antennas now."

The government-mandated change to digital technology allows local TV
stations to offer high definition (HD) and multiple program streams at the
same time.

Digital converter boxes are available in retail stores and online for
about $60.  The U.S. government coupon program defrays $40 of the cost of
a box.

Information and help with the DTV transition are available to viewers from
the local stations online or by phone: 

Vermont Public Television, 1-800-639-7811, www.vpt.org
Mountain Lake PBS, 1-800-863-5700, www.mountainlake.org
WCAX, (802) 652-6300, www.wcax.com
WFFF (802) 660-9333, www.FOX44.net
WPTZ, (518) 561-5555 (NY) or (802) 655-5455 (VT), www.wptz.com
WVNY (802) 660-9333, www.abc22.com

That was the end of the e-mail.
I believe WCAX's phone number is 658-6300.
Jim Condon used to live in Fairfax.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
JoeT

« #13 : December 05, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »

In the interest of full disclosure, I work with Ann at VPT. 
All of us broadcasters have a vested interest in everyone getting or keeping their TV - not just VPT, but all the channels if possible.

Regards,
Joe
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #14 : December 05, 2008, 09:49:03 AM »

Okay, full disclosure:

Jim Condon lived with Chris and Terri Santee
on Georgia Mountain Road in the late 1980's.

And we all watched Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday night.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: