Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:29:12 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Well I Ended 2008 On A Bright Note
« previous next »
: [1]
: Well I Ended 2008 On A Bright Note  ( 3329 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 01, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »

Most of the people I have spoken to are kind of glad that 2008 is over with and are looking forward to a brighter & better New Year in 2009.  Usually Maryann and I can look back and find some really bright spots in our lives each year, however, last night it was just a bit more difficult, although we have not had any personal disasters in 2008.

To end up the year, my computer crashed on December 25, 2008, at a time when I really needed it, as I had a lot of communications coming in about The Steeple Market Fire.  Fortunately, I was able to use Maryann's Computer and retrieve my mail from the Web, do some downloads on an external drive that I have and get the items back up on my forum where there was a constant string of visitors looking for any new information they could find.  I got out the old lap top which I hadn't used since 2005, and of course when I plugged it in, I had download updates galore from Windows Updates and McAfee that took about 6 hours to complete.  Hopefully I caught all the e-mails and responded to those necessary during that time.

I finally got a new computer on Monday of this week which has Windows Vista.  I was able to get it set up so I could get e-mail, although my latest current e-mail addresses up on the web had not been updated for 6 months.  My printer and scanner wouldn't work and it wasn't until yesterday that I got everything going with the help of my daughter.  As of last night, I believe I have everything working - The thought had crossed my mind that my 10 years of work on Fairfax Genealogy might not work on Windows Vista either with my Roots4 Program, but fortunately, I guess, it is an MS DOS program and the only thing that has to be done on any computer I have ever used it on is to make a change to config sys, which my daughter also did for me.  Now that is working too, thank God.

This morning, other than starting off the day at 3 degrees below zero with a rather brisk breeze, everything is almost all back to normal.

My wish for all of you in the year 2009 is for a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year.

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #1 : January 01, 2009, 05:52:50 PM »

Henry, my wish for you is a very Happy New Year!  You are truly dedicated to your commitment of this web site and it is very much appreciated if I haven't said it before. Blessings my friend.
« : January 01, 2009, 05:54:31 PM Judi »
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : January 01, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »

Yes Henry, your tenacity is greatly appreciated!  Happy  New Year to you and Maryann and of course, thanks for all you do!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: