Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 06:52:13 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Not Grateful For Trudging Out To Get Free Press & None There
« previous next »
: [1]
: Not Grateful For Trudging Out To Get Free Press & None There  ( 6802 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 25, 2009, 09:13:36 AM »

Anybody else trudge out to get your Free Press and there was none there - Not sure why this upsets me so much, but it does.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : January 25, 2009, 09:35:56 AM »

Henry,

Could you put a wireless webcam inside the paperbox so you can check for the paper before heading out? Just a thought ;)

-Trevor

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : January 25, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »

Actually, my paper box faces the house, but the paper is so thin, with my 75+ year old eyes can't see if it is in there or not.

Speaking of Web Cams, Trevor, my new computer has something on it that if I had a web cam, it would check me out and see if the picture allows me to enter my computer instead of using a password.  I would love one of those web cams, but just can't see myself going in and shaving, making sure I am presentable for the outside world, then go and turn on my computer in the morning.

I would also probably have to clean up the mess around my computer, so probably best I don't get involved in that.

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : January 25, 2009, 06:07:24 PM »

I know you MUST have a pair of binoculars in the house to spy it out!
trussell
: 870

« #4 : January 26, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »

May I can setup an indicator light with a sensor inside the paperbox for you.... Let me think about that one!
Although when you don't get your paper, at least iti gives you something to write about!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Suzy
: 429

« #5 : January 26, 2009, 03:56:01 PM »

Henry,

Do you ever read the Free Press online?  Maybe do that first, then it won't be such a disappointment if the paper's not there.  Just a thought!

At least you got in your morning cardio workout!

Hope it warms up for you, and the paper delivery becomes more reliable!  Thanks for all you do!

Suzy
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : January 26, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »

Oh Yes!!!  I do read it on line - I never go out after the paper until Maryann is up - As a Senior Citizen who has fallen on the ice a few times I usually let Maryann know I am on my way out to get the paper, have my cell phone with me, just in case I fall also.  One thing I have never done though is lay on the ground and see if I have cell phone service down there.

I know that some of you may think this is a bit foolish, but each fall Dr. Ramsay gives the the same talk, "Remember, Henry, the word this winter is caution, be careful not to fall."

Henry Raymond
Suzy

« #7 : January 26, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »

No, it's not foolish!  I'm glad you're being safe!  You have a lot of people that care about you, and count on you! 

They do make some kind of tracks you can attach to shoes to grip the ice.  (Runners wear them in the winter.) 

Love to you and your family,
Suzy
MSoule
: 15

« #8 : January 26, 2009, 05:57:30 PM »

Great suggestion, Suzy!  Our division of Penske assigned each of our drivers a pair of Get-A-Grips as part of their personal protective equipment (PPE).  The ones we gave out look like galoshes with metal cleats.  Just out of curiousity, I googled the name and if you look at www.cozywinters.com, they have several models available for less than $20.  Might be worth a look.  I'm sure there are other brands out there as well.
« : January 26, 2009, 05:58:41 PM Henry »
Suzy

« #9 : January 26, 2009, 07:54:02 PM »

I have a friend at work who is training for a marathon and I asked him how on Earth could anyone run on the snow and ice.  It just seems like a recipe for disaster!  He told me about the grippy things. 

See you on Facebook Matt!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: