Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:26:10 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Chris Santee Has News About School Budget Cuts
« previous next »
: [1]
: Chris Santee Has News About School Budget Cuts  ( 7552 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 28, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »

Chris Santee has news about School Budget Cuts from tonight's meeting - Board, trimmed $271,938 - The big cut was Full Day Kindergarten - Read more by clicking on the link below:

Henry Raymond
special ED

« #1 : January 29, 2009, 04:53:10 AM »

still not enough, they need to cut the lunch program and a few other things
aheyer
: 9

« #2 : January 29, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »

maybe its just me but in the dire times that people are going through, perhaps the administrators could go one year without a pay increase rather than trimming it down to 2.5%.
« : January 29, 2009, 07:57:12 AM Henry »
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : January 29, 2009, 08:00:04 AM »

I agree with aheyer - I doubt many people are looking for any type of increase this year as many feel very fortunate they just have a job.  I think if you ask anyone who just got layed off or are working for a company that is a little bit on shaky grounds financially, they will agree.

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #4 : January 30, 2009, 09:57:15 PM »

I was a little surprised at that 2.5%  myself. They also said the insurance company wasn't going to increase the premiums this year, so the raises were "true" raises, as opposed to being a raise that merely covers the increase in insurance. I'm not sure anyone should get a raise. They really wanted to give the support staff, who are the lowest paid employees the full 4% (I don't recall if they did or agreed on 3%), which I understand, however I think those people who do have a job perhaps should simply be happy for that fact and forget the pay increase this year, regardless of how low their income is.

Is it me or does a 4% yearly increase seem a little high? I don't know that I've ever received more than a 2.5% increase at one time any place I've worked!

It's not that teachers and other school employees don't deserve the $ they're paid, I absolutely feel that they do. I don't think it's an easy job at all. It is not  career I would want-I respect anyone who does it well and can still smile at 3p! The paras work 1:1 with some of the most difficult kids for what amount to peanuts. They're either saints or insane. But, it's hard to justify raises of any sort in the face of record job losses.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
slpott
: 457

« #5 : January 30, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »

I have learned over the years that if I do not have anything nice to say that I should not say anything at all. However, coming from a big town with large city schools, Fairfax is wonderful in my eyes. The education level may not be the best but the family environment is wonderful and I truly think the kids are better off because of it. I would hate to see the lunch program go away as I think that is the main meal for a lot of children. I think a better suggestion would be to help out if you can. My children do not eat lunch at school unless it is pizza day but I would be more than happy to help. I feel terrible for the people that are taking a beating with the economy but lets not let it effect our children if there is a better way. The children are the innocent ones and it is our responsibility to take care of them if we can. I hope the outcome is a good one for all.
msm
: 211

« #6 : January 31, 2009, 08:49:13 AM »

For what it's worth -- I work for AT&T, it was announced yesterday, no Pay Increases for 2009  --  I fully understand and support this approach.   But I do have issues with Corporate America that have been provided Hundreds of Millions of Dollars from the Federal Government AND executives getting bonuses and spending millions on Corporate Jets,  Fancy Offices and other perks.    What is the deal ?  No accountability and no business ethics,  the executives think they are 'entitled' and basically spent as see fit.  ( after making horrible business decisions ) 

Mike M
aheyer
: 9

« #7 : January 31, 2009, 09:13:40 AM »

Ironically the same day I posted I to was informed that I would not be seeing a raise this year.  They cited being thankful to have a job and to prepare the company financially should things get any worse.

Now I took administration for just that (principals and athletic directors).  I certainly don't think that they should be cutting any increases for teachers or para professionals who work with the kids day in and day out.  As someone who worked at the school for a year as a para I can tell you that it is one of the most demanding jobs I have ever had.  Those people are worth every cent!
Henry
Administrator

« #8 : January 31, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »

aheyer,

And definitely underpaid - We have to remember that a 4% increase is peanuts to an administrator's 2.5% increase

Henry Raymond
stewarp
: 21

« #9 : January 31, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »

I would like to remind all of the community that you had the opportunity to attend the budget preparation meeting so that the School Board would have input into what you would like to see or what to cut.  I would like to inform you that the hot lunch program has not been in the budget for some years now.  The Abbey has the complete responsibility for preparing both breakfast and lunch menus.
Just a reminder, the complete budget presentation for 2009-2010 will be held on Monday, February 16, 2009 in the Elementary Gym at 7:00 pm.  It will also be presented at Town Meeting on Saturday, February 28th at 10:00 AM.
ohhman
: 469

« #10 : February 01, 2009, 11:52:53 AM »

I, and about 6 others, WERE planning on attending the budget meeting this last Wed., but when your kids come home & say everything at school has been cancelled due to the weather, just didn't think that meeting would still be held!  And as someone whom has attended some meeting in the past, I think the school board does a very good job in listening to the public & I feel they do their best at doing the job they do, but it is a little frustrating sometimes as some may feel why speak up when the administration has already made up it's mind and seems to have more pull than the public to the board.  I also wonder how any increase, other than some to the "paras", should be acceptable in today's economy.  I think our school offers very good insurance for our teachers & administration, which accounts for a lot now.  as many have said, how many others have had pink slips handed to them recently & how many are fortunate to have a job at all!  Yes, 2.5% on $60k is a lot more than 4% on $16k;  many of us would sure like that raise!  As for the food program, I personally didn't agree with having had our present food program come on board to begin with.  Our past community members that ran the lunch program did a wonderful job, my kids & many said the food was better and I wonder if Mrs. Coon could say the program wasn't breaking even so it was better to have the Abbey?  She & the others lunch ladies did a great job; the people there now are all good people & also do a good job, it's just the "business" they are employed by,  the same business that wasn't really all that fair to our previous lunch staff when they took over!
ohhman
: 469

« #11 : February 01, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »

I forgot to say thank you to the school board for all your hard work; I spoke with a board member after a game recently whom was going back home to go over the budget once again to see if there were more areas that could be trimmed.  You all deserve a pay raise, but that was probably the first thing you all gave up!  You do a good job and many appreciate your time & hard work!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: