Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:32:02 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  School Budget Cuts
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: School Budget Cuts  ( 13641 )
7F24
: 253

« #15 : February 01, 2009, 02:06:32 PM »

MUMMY

You won't find my name on that list.
Mummy
: 280

« #16 : February 01, 2009, 02:47:32 PM »

7F24

Nor will you find my name on that list! 
However, we need to be mindful of those who are struggling
to remove their name from that list.  Truly, many of us are Blessed
not to be on that list.  Nor should we forget those who are on that
list!  That is why I "Thanked" the School Board Directors for hearing
the suttle cries of it's community!
chelseaclark
: 54

« #17 : February 01, 2009, 03:20:04 PM »

Having been one of the few people to attend last Wednesday's school budget meeting, I have a new appreciation for the challenges they are up against.  I am a supporter of full-day kindergarten, but I also understand why it has been cut from next year's budget. The school board painstakingly went through each item on the budget and discussed each one, carefully coming to a decision that was both practical and compassionate.   As for "throwing" money at a problem, I think that is coarse language to be using in a year when the school board has worked so hard to come up with a budget that is fair and reflects the seriousness of the financial situation without cutting existing programs or jobs.  Even if they had decided to include the $48,000 for the kindergarten program, it would have been a carefully made decision.

Mummy...whomever you are, I have to disagree with you on the kindergarten issue.  The children who may not be getting support at home are the ones who benefit the most from switching to a full day.  In a perfect world, it would all start at home, and every child would have equal advantages and support. But that is not the world we live in.  Will full day kindergarten fix the problem?  No, but the research is clear: it certainly does help.  In the long run spending money on early education is worth it and benefits all of us, provided that there is money in the budget to do so. 

Ideally, we would have even more support in place for families from birth to kindergarten.  Programs, such as Success By Six, do exist and I hope that they continue to receive support.

Chelsea Clark
Mummy
: 280

« #18 : February 01, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »

Chelseaclark,

Sounds like you work at the school and if you do I completely understand. 

You have taken a stand that you disagree with me on the full-day kindergarten but you just wrote that you AGREE that full-day would not fix the problems.  Honestly, I appreciate your view point and hope that you too can appreciate mine.  Seriously, we each have an opinion on full-day kindergarten which we are permitted to have and to voice. 

As  a community, there must be consideration for all in the community from children to seniors.  There are many families both young and old who in these difficult times can not continue to live in this area because of a few $$ here and a few $$ there that add up to the last of their little income.  Their little  income did not go up by 2.5% or 4.5% this year and many are wishing that they had a JOB!

Ideally, we should have more support in place for families who have become a Senior or taking on the responsibilities of Aging parents so that they can remain in their comfort zone the HOME they have worked for ALL of their lives!

7F24
: 253

« #19 : February 01, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »

MUMMY

"Sounds like you work at the school and if you do I completely understand"

When you post a statement like that, do you think it somehow discredits that person's view?  I think Chelsea's post was well written , and I completely agree with her.
logical
: 141

« #20 : February 02, 2009, 07:29:31 AM »

As I've made my opinion known throughout the many posts I will keep this short.  I agree w/7F24 and ChelseaClarke.  Yes, education does start at home and should be the foundation for their overall learning process in life.  However, most of us are not trained as educators.  Teachers and staff at the school are.  I sit with my children and read with them and help with homework every night.  It does not make me a bad parent as some have previously indicated) to want more for my child.  Yes, we are facing hard times financially right now and if we have to put off full day kindergarten until it gets better than I can live with that.  However, I think that as a community we need to look at ways of getting it into future budgets. 

I myself thought of running for school board this year.  However, it is a hard job and very time consuming.  Time I'm not willing to sacrifice away from my children.  They do an outstanding job and do not receive enough praise.  Thank-you for your hard work and time. 
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: