Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:35:30 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Vermont The Least Religious In The Country According To Poll
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vermont The Least Religious In The Country According To Poll  ( 3855 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 31, 2009, 03:59:26 PM »

A new poll says Vermont is the least religious state in the country.  This is a little scary.  There have been a number of times in my lifetime that if I did not have faith and believe in a higher source, I doubt that I would have made it through and I have never really had that bad a time.  With all the economic down turns, I am not sure how some of these people will make it.  I came from a family that always thanked God for a good crop, a healthy year, or survival from a bad illness or situation and as a child, we had very little of the material things in life, but always what was felt necessary.  This has stuck with me in my personal life, many years after my parents passed on.

Gallup asked 350,000 people nationwide, from all 50 states and Washington, D.C., is religion was an important part of their daily lives. Vermont came in last, at the 51st spot. New Hampshire came in at 49, and New York at 39. Mississippi came in first.

For more information, click on the link below:

Henry Raymond
Barbara
: 270

« #1 : January 31, 2009, 04:32:58 PM »

Surveys are interesting.   I would be curious if the question was phrased "is spirituality an important part of your life" as opposed to religion.  Many people will deny being religious, equating that with formal church/synagogue attendance but have deep personal faith beliefs. 
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : January 31, 2009, 06:09:40 PM »

I agree Barbara, I think many people are very spiritual in their own way and believe in some kind of higher power, but do not necessarily follow or believe in any organized religion. I know a number of people who feel they "don't need to go to church to pray."

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
CJB
: 16

« #3 : February 01, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »

Perhaps many Vermonters believe that living with a moral value system does not need to be based on belief of any deity.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: