Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 08:20:23 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Education Committee Update
« previous next »
: [1]
: Education Committee Update  ( 3345 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : February 14, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »

The House Education Committee takes the safety of children very seriously and devoted the last two weeks to studying the increased responsibilities of our public education system under S.13. Our schools will be asked to take on a greater role in identifying, protecting, and preventing sexual abuse and sexual violence. Although 95% of perpetrators are know to the victim and family, children are in school daily. This is where they are the most safe and might develop a relationship with a responsible adult. The schools’ role will involve adaptations to their Pre-K-12 health curriculum, new training for staff, and an outreach to parents and guardians. There are also required record checks for employees, school volunteers, and contractors and their employees. The only budgeted funds are directed to DCF for a center to coordinate a statewide program. School districts will absorb the costs of these are unfunded mandates at same time they are being asked to reduce expenditures. The task for the education committee is to make recommendations to the Judiciary Committee that will help make the efforts of schools as efficient and effective as possible. 

This week we began to hear about the working relationship among schools and community mental health agencies. We also explored how staffing patterns in regard to special education might affect the costs and quality of a students’ education. On Friday we had our first look at the Department of Educations budget. The department had reduced their general fund budget (starting July 1) by 1.5 million. They did this by eliminating positions and identifying efficiencies. In January the governor instructed further cuts of 1.3 million to come from the area of labor costs. This means 33 more position cuts are anticipated and the department is determining the programs that they will no longer be able to operate.  Priorities will be set because there are some things that just will not get done even if they are currently required by law. At present, it looks like the department might have to limit itself to financial administration and enforcement of regulations that keep federal and state funds flowing to districts. They may not have the capacity to assist local school districts with student support, standards and assessment or educator quality. Federal stimulus funds may help but we do not know what strings will be attached as of this date.

I can be reached during the week in Montpelier by calling toll free at the State House 1-800-322-5616, by E-mail at ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us, or at my home answering machine at 849-6333.

Gary Gilbert
State Representative
Franklin 1
Fairfax/Georgia
: [1]  
« previous next »
: