Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 06:14:04 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  So Today Is Friday The 13th
« previous next »
: [1]
: So Today Is Friday The 13th  ( 3935 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 13, 2009, 08:42:51 AM »

Not sure if the superstition regarding Friday the 13th still exists that much, but I do remember a number of stories regarding Albert Rich and his superstitions.  The story was once told that a Black Cat crossed his path on time as he was riding down the road and Albert stopped, turned his car around and took another route to get to where he was going.

My Dad had another thought regarding Fridays - He never started a new task on Friday.  I remember him saying, if you start it on Friday, you will never get it done.

There are of course many, many superstitions that the old timers had.  If the palm of your left hand itches, somebody is going to give you some money and if the palm of your right hand itches, you will meet a friend that day.

Young girls used to be told that when they saw the first robin, they should take off their shoes and check to see if there is a hair in the shoe.  It will be the color of the hair of the man she is going to marry.

I personally am not superstitious, I don't think anyhow, but certainly am glad that the new Country Pantry Owners opened on Thursday instead of Friday and of course, it didn't do any harm to start the demolition process down at the Steeple Market on Thursday either.

Have a great Friday The 13th, Its just another day!!

Henry Raymond
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : March 13, 2009, 03:40:58 PM »

Hi Henry.

You started this subject on Friday the 13th.

Have a great weekend.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Margie
: 156

« #2 : March 13, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »

Your comment about Albert Rich and the black cat reminded me of a story my father told about Albert.  They were going to a Masonic meeting i anothe town - not sure if it was Enosburg or Swanton - and my dad was driving.  They were almost to their destination when a black cat ran across the road in front of them.  Albert got all upset and said "Frank, you have to turn around, go back home and come back again."  My father told Albert he was NOT driving back to Fairfax and then back to Enosburg since they were just a couple of minutes away from where they were headed.  Albert was completely scared the entire rest of the time and didn't relax until my father dropped him back home.

Now THAT is superestitious!
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : March 14, 2009, 01:03:15 AM »

It was said here,,,,,,,,,,

"Young girls used to be told that when they saw the first robin, they should take off their shoes and check to see if there is a hair in the shoe.  It will be the color of the hair of the man she is going to marry."

I WOULD think.... "Ladies, shave your toes!"

But that is me.

I am an outsider.

just saying

mirjo
: 785

« #4 : March 15, 2009, 01:31:11 PM »

I have a Friday the 13th tale, from this week. I have a friend who is a little superstitious. When I mentioned that it was the 13th on Friday her immediate response was, "Ooh, I guess I won't be going anywhere today then!" So she didn't.

She received a call in the afternoon from a place she had interveiwed earlier in the week, telling her she had the job! She went out that night to celebrate.

Mike, that "ladies shave your toes" comment just killed me! I have to say, toe hair/what to do about it (bleach, wax, shave, pluck) is certainly NEVER mentioned in beauty mags!!! LOL! I think even guys get tips in late-night infomercials on the nose & ear hair problems, but toe-hair, never seen it mentioned before now.

I was thinking more along the lines of their feet being sweaty and possibly a bit odoriferous. Which makes one wonder--is it truly a polite thing to take your shoes off when you enter someone's house? Is the "oh don't worry about your shoes," about the fact that they don't want to trouble you--or they don't want YOUR bare/sock feet on their floors??

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: