Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:22:08 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Here Is The Gay Marriage Bill Override Process As I Understand It
« previous next »
: [1]
: Here Is The Gay Marriage Bill Override Process As I Understand It  ( 4212 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 07, 2009, 08:11:36 AM »

This morning, the Vt. Senate will convene at 9 a.m. to attempt to override the governor's veto. That is expected to happen easily in the Senate, since out of 30 senators, 26 supported the bill.

As soon as it finishes there, it goes on to the Vt. House. The House will take up the issue at 10:30 a.m. They too will try to override the governor's veto. It is less certain there. If all 150 members are present, 100 votes are needed for the two-thirds majority required for an override.

The things to watch will be the six Republicans who supported the bill and the 11 Democrats who voted against it.

The Republicans who supported the bill are being intensely lobbied by those who oppose the bill.

And of the Democrats who voted against the bill, a handful have already said they will vote for an override, not because they now support the bill, but because they want to send the governor a message about the process. They don't like that he announced he would veto the bill before they passed it.

If lawmakers do vote to override, it will be the first time a governor's veto has been overridden since 1990.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : April 07, 2009, 10:05:06 AM »

House overrides Governor's veto 100 - 49

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #2 : April 07, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »

Yeah i heard that republicans changed their vote to endorse as well because of Douglas' approach.

to be honest though - what could Douglas could have done?  if he votes for it - he's a goner for sure next election.  If he says nothing - he'd be 'out of the loop' or perceived as absent in this monumental decision.

The only thing he could've done better is just voice his opposition, and as he said, let legislators vote their conscious - and behind closed doors assured his constituent's of his veto.  He effectively said, " i don't care what proponents have to say, i don't need to hear the debate.  I oppose their potential views and stick to my guns." 

He was in a tough spot, not much he could do.
« : April 07, 2009, 12:02:45 PM Henry »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: