Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 02:25:37 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Vermont Now Has A "Right To Dry"
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vermont Now Has A "Right To Dry"  ( 5959 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 05, 2009, 06:53:53 AM »

I don't know what the rules are here at the different condos or the Village Green, but as of now, Vermonters have a right to hang out their clothes to dry.  I haven't seen the actual law in hard copy, but think it also allows home owners to put up solar panels without objections from the community.

Henry Raymond
cedarman
: 370

« #1 : June 05, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »

I think it's just sad that we live in a society where we have to have a law over such a trivial thing.  I guess if you live in a condo/apartment housing, or in a housing association with a lot of other people who can't tend their own business, but like to tell others how to handle theirs, then little laws like this, or provisions like this are a great thing even if it's just to prevent finicky, bossy neighbors.

I'm sure some HOA will challenge the extent of the law (depending on the actual wording) by saying you can't hang out socks and underwear on a clothsline visible to your neighbors, or they'll require some visual barricade to prevent the uptight neighbors from seeing undies on the line.

On a side note:  We were recently told an additional benefit of hanging cloth diapers out in the full sunshine is chemical free bleaching of stains.
dearon
: 233

« #2 : June 05, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »

When we developed our property we had covenants. The attorney had a general set of covenants with that in, I promptly had him remove it.  I firmly believe in drying your cloths outside.  It saves energy and they smell wonderful too:)
I think the philosophy was in a close neighborhood as with the condo  and city developments people didn't want to look at someones laundry.  I say if you don't want to see it then buy up all the lots or condos or stop complaining.  It's all well and good to look out for your neighbors but come on this one really has not business in an association bylaw.
special ED

« #3 : June 05, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »

I told one of my customers to get their clothes in off the line they are going to get wet he replied those are not laundry those are budist prayer cards . ????????????????
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #4 : June 05, 2009, 11:25:59 PM »

I live in a town home development WITH a HOA.

I appreciate the  convents .

You are presented with these by-laws and convents prior to you going to the mortgage company and signing your loan.

Some home sales have fallen through at signing time because the buyers didn't want to abide by them, and that is their choice.

When you live this close to each other some rules must apply. Not all people have common sense and respect for each other.

With that said, a HOA must pick and choose their battles on certain issues.

We are in a middle "unit" sandwiched in. Our neighbors provide us a nice layer of heat in the winter!!!

If the female neighbor on the West side wanted to dry her undies outside in the air, I'd have NO problem.

If the female neighbor on the East side wanted to do the same, then I'd HAVE a problem!

Perspective........ (you know what I mean guys!)
Giggity....
mirjo
: 785

« #5 : June 06, 2009, 09:48:46 PM »

Jeez Mike, that's a little perverted...you know Henry's trying to run a family friendly show here! :-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Mike Raburn

« #6 : June 07, 2009, 01:01:12 AM »

Perspective.... That is all I am saying.
Mike Raburn

« #7 : June 07, 2009, 01:03:16 AM »

Oh, and by the way.....

When I saw that poor bird shooting out poop, I realized the rating of this forum.

It is rated PG-13!!!!!!
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #8 : June 08, 2009, 08:07:03 AM »

My parents live in a senior community in florida in the winter. One of the more senior ladies explained to my mother that you hang towels or pants in front and back the under garments go in the middle so people can't see them as they walk by.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #9 : June 08, 2009, 11:27:56 AM »

I can see where some folks wouldn't want all these 'additional strings' attached when they move into a place, but on the other hand, i use to live in a condo development in So Burlignton for a while.  there were your basic rules -about what you coudl and couldn't do to yoru section of grass and what you coudl or couldn't park anywhere on the grounds.

those rules are all designed to maintain property and unit value.  The instant you let your neighbor have their truck up on blocks with no tires for more than a few days is the moment you let in depreciation.

I agree - there were soem folks just really 'uptight' and picky about how they wanted thins on the HOA, but guess what, there's 2 parts to getting finicky rules passed - the first is getting support for their premise the secodn is finding those willing to uphold and enforce them.  Sometimes, HOA will be pretty liberal in allwoign a finicky rule to be passed on condition the petitioner is the person to track and enforce it - and then in an organized and consistent manner which is presided over by the HOA.  In essence makign it the petitioner's baby and not allowign them to make rules up that will become someone elses job to enforece.

As for clothes on a line - how superbly ridiculous.  In this time where we need to serioulsy start evolving our awareness of wasteful our society lives and thus changing, restrictions on steps to do so is oxtmoronic.  "  Be more cognant of the environement........ as long as it's asthetically pleasing though."

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: