Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 04:17:51 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA's Unassuming King By Lisa Boucher - Messenger Correspondent
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA's Unassuming King By Lisa Boucher - Messenger Correspondent  ( 5170 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 22, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »

The unassuming king
Fairfax grad true to himself
BY LISA M. BOUCHER
Messenger Correspondent

Prom King Willy Watson & Prom Queen Kate Wells

FAIRFAX—With a ponytail, jeans, plain t-shirt, and loaner-type personae, one would expect Willy Watson to be the antithesis of what is traditionally considered to be the ideal student by teachers and a guy you want to get to know (by most adolescent standards).

However, this thoughtful, unflappable senior, who doesn't have a car, does not play sports, isn't involved in Bellows Free Academy, Fairfax's extracurricular scene, enjoys learning for learning's sake, and willingly challenges himself academically—was crowned Prom King this year by his classmates. Totally eighty-sixing the historical concept of what a popular student is.

"It was pretty cool, a nice little novelty," is all Watson had to say about the .win. And produced a bright, but shy grin.

"Willy never changed," said Fred Griffin, BFA English teacher of Watson's surprise win as prom king, a royal honor reserved for those considered prettiest and/or popular. "The school
came to him."

With a quiet and unassuming demeanor, Watson came to BFA Fairfax as a tuition student from the very small Fletcher Elementary School in the seventh grade. "It was a big change," he said. "But I adjusted."

A member of the National Honor Society since the end of his junior year, Watson said he had always had an interest in English and History, but not so much math and science.

"That was a real a surprise," he said of the nomination, which takes into consideration a student's grades as well as character and leadership. "I have always done well in school, but never been involved in school based extra curricular activities."

The eldest of two sons, Watson credits his parents with his unconventional attitude toward learning, saying it was they who "taught me to be interested in learning rather than just go for the grades, which is why I enjoy learning."

Watson explained that his father is an upholsterer and his mother was an artist and is now a math teacher at an alternative school for kids who are experiencing difficulties. Watson feels his parent's careers have shaped his outlook and attitudes.

"My dad never went to college, but he has always been pretty creative;" he said of the impact his father has had on him. "I've always had that influence of a hands-on craft, outside of something that might be considered more scholarly. You can do something with your hands— not necessarily have to have a degree, but find a talent and make a living out of it."

So what gets a quiet kid from out of town noticed by his classmates in a new school? A guitar, of course, the quintessential bad-boy musical instrument.

Having developed an interest in the instrument around the age of eight, the atypical guitar-wielding loner wowed his peers with a Middle School talent show performance of Johnny B. Good in the eighth grade.

In the ninth grade Watson, his younger brother, bassist, Alzona, and guitarist friend Dylan Day decided to form a band —The Alzona Watson band.

Younger brother and bassist was given top billing because, "The guitarists always are the ones out in front and Dylan thought we should name the band after the bass player," Watson said.

Describing the style of music they play proves to be difficult for Watson who says the boys tried the usual rock and roll that teens naturally aspire to, but that didn't seem to work for them very well.

"Rather than go ahead with that," Watson said of the band's continuing to play rock. "We started looking back on where that music came from. From the roots of all that music, we got into blues and jazz and kind of hopped out of the mainstream of things."

"We wanted to do something creative, the unique music choice has kind of kept us together," he continued. The band has several adult members that round out the rest of the needed instruments, but they are not regulars with the exception of Dave Duprat who plays drums for the boys. Dave Keith provides vocals and Scott Russell plays keyboard and does vocals as well.

Watson noted that none of the teens sing. The band has played some local gigs, most notably the annual Fairfax Music and Arts Festival and a fundraiser for a young cancer patient. The band was able to help raise $1,000.

According to Watson the band strives for creativity and plays stuff that allows them to improvise and be creative. The boys practice long hours on Saturdays and there is a glimmer of concern that crosses his face when he speaks of senior year coming to a close.

Although he will be close by at St. Michael's College and looks forward to meeting new people and expanding his musical horizons, he will miss being able to easily get the Alzona Watson band together for an all-day rehearsal.

"I couldn't have done it alone," Watson said reflecting on his high school career. "I am grateful for what I have and curious for what's to come."

File photo taken in 2007 of Dylan, Willy and Alzona

« : June 23, 2009, 10:07:19 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: