Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:19:57 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Keep In Mind You Must Have A Permit To Burn
« previous next »
: [1]
: Keep In Mind You Must Have A Permit To Burn  ( 5033 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 16, 2009, 07:22:15 AM »

Fire department was called out last night to an illegal burn.  Although my information is strictly from the scanner, I understand that an unattended fire was burning and the individual did not have a burn permit.

Please keep in mind, wet as it might be, burn permits are still required.

Henry Raymond
dearon
: 233

« #1 : July 16, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »

I don't know why someone would burn without a permit as I've found it quite easy to get one when I need one.  A phone call to Karen usually is returned within a few hours.  Maybe the person thought it was O.K. because of all the rain? 
Most towns require you to get a permit in writing and there are a list of materials that should never be burned hopefully everyone follows this.  Our environment is fragile enough without any more pollution. 
stewarp
: 21

« #2 : July 16, 2009, 10:23:49 AM »

I would like to clarify the fire call that was called in yesterday afternoon.  There was a fire permit obtained.  It was not an illegal burn.  At that time it was unattended as the person responsible had gone home for a few minutes.  There was smoke only and no actual flames.  The fire was about out.  The information given over the scanner was not correct.  Thank you to Tom and Mike for responding.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #3 : July 16, 2009, 11:26:29 AM »

Smokey says " Never leave a fire unattended ".  Was the call from someone who just saw smoke and no one around and thus just played it safe?  Or had the fire kicked back up and warranted a call to the FXD?

Dearon,

I share your sentiment on obtaining a permit to burn.  I've always wanted to do a burn yet, because I'm a law abiding citizen, haven't because i haven't planned in advance enough to obtain a permit.  Then I see locals/neighbors burning and wonder how many of them have permits?  I know some do not as if they had to declare what they were burning they'd be denied ( cardboard, plastics and other HOUSEHOLD refuse - not yard refuse mind you).  Could be a reason not to get a permit......       
« : July 16, 2009, 11:35:25 AM Henry »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #4 : July 16, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »

The person whom initiated the call last evening was myself, Justin Hayes Deputy Chief of the department.  My family and I were walking on the rec patch I saw the smoke and investigated finding no one in attendance.  I proceded to a call our dispatch to have the department respond for an unattended which mind you constitutes as an illegal burn.  I realized that for all involved my actions did not gain me any points in popularity but please understand that in my position I am bound to uphold laws and regulations surrounding NFPA, OSHA, and even local burning ordinances. 

The parties involved upon hearing the scanner came back to the burn site and proceeded to present me with a valid fire permit.  My position was to inform of proper burning requirements which are printed on the back of the permit and advised to have fire extinguished before dark.  If there were no proper permits in place I was fully prepared to extinguish the fire and take appropriate reporting actions.

Please understand that as a person in my position I am obligated to take action.   If I notice and do nothing I could become the negligent party should "something" happen.

Justin Hayes
Deputy Fire Chief
Fairfax Fire Department
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #5 : July 16, 2009, 12:50:28 PM »

I wouldn't want it any other way.  Thanks for being observant, alert, and dedicated to your responsibilities and duties.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Travis
: 141

« #6 : July 16, 2009, 02:22:22 PM »

I wouldn't want it any other way.  Thanks for being observant, alert, and dedicated to your responsibilities and duties.

I agree 100%. Thank you Justin!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: