Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 10:26:57 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Does anyone have a HD radio ?
« previous next »
: [1]
: Does anyone have a HD radio ?  ( 4266 )
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« : July 28, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »

If so would you mind experimenting on getting a signal?

*** Red Sox fans may not want to attempt this.  ***

I'm wondering if you could pick up WCBS 88.0 on the AM dial as a HD station ( not sure what the sub frequency would be ) after sunset. 

On a broader note would anyone know how a HD signal is sent over the air?  I would assume it would "piggy back" on the existing AM analog signal but would it keep all of the AM analog 'characteristics'? Just wondering if the HD signal would travel as far as the analog signal does after sunset. 

Dave
« : July 28, 2009, 06:02:29 PM Julie »
fletchtb
: 310

« #1 : July 28, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »

I don't know much about HD radio, but it sounds like you want to listen to the Yankee games. Have you considered an XM Radio? They get all of of the baseball games.

Sirius - XM Radio is a single company, but they still set separate radios. To get baseball, you still need to buy an XM radio. I have had Sirius since 2005 and I love it. I love that I could drive anywhere in the US or Canada and not ever have to change the station. Commercial free music is great too.
YouAnnMos
: 30

« #2 : July 29, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »

Dave,
Seems you are trying the best way to find out before you but.  Here's a little of what I was able to find out from the net.  I don't have a HD radio so I can't check for you.

http://www.hd-radio-home.com/hd-radio-signal-coverage.html

It's here, but can you hear it?

One of the most frequent questions we got has to do with HD Radio's signal coverage.

From what we have been able to learn to date, a station's HD Radio signal should be just about identical to its conventional, analog AM or FM coverage. There will be areas where you will be able to hear only the analog signal and areas where you will be able to hear only the HD Radio signal.

Notice we said "should be just about identical." This is because some sources say this just isn't true. "We were told back in the beginning that the HD coverage would be equal to the analog signal," says Robert Conrad, respected owner of WCLV-FM. "Unfortunately, the industry is now finding out this is not the case, that the HD coverage is considerably less, something like 60% of the analog coverage. We've also found that even in a strong HD signal area, a dipole antenna is required."

JoeT
: 100

« #3 : August 05, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »

HD Radio is the marketing name for one type (the most popular type) of digital radio invented by a company called ibiquity.
It is a digital signal rides on top of (technically on the sides of) the analog radio signal and works on both AM and FM.

For either FM or AM HD radio, if you cannot receive the analog signal, you will not be able to get the digital signal.  AM digital radio tends to not work very well at night unless you get a 100% solid signal.

So, if you cannot get WCBS 880 analog, you will not WCBS digital.

If you are looking for Yankee games, try WVMT am-620 in Burlington or WIRY am-1340 in Plattsburgh.
I am not necessarily a 'Yankee fan (more of a Braves fan, really) but John Sterling may just be the best radio play-by-play person...ever.

Vermont Public Radio runs digital FM radio, and they have multiple digital channels that carry their regular 107.9 program, plus VPR classical and BCC world service.  All you need is the HD radio.

Regards,
Joe T

: [1]  
« previous next »
: