Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:31:06 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Deanne's Garden Is Doing Great - Photos - Page 2
« previous next »
: [1]
: Deanne's Garden Is Doing Great - Photos - Page 2  ( 6420 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 01, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »

Hi Henry,
I'm sending you a few of my garden pics both vegetable gardens and a few flower gardens.  The vegetable garden with the corn is the newer location next to our barn.
Garden # 1 has:  4 row of Raspberries, 29 high bush blueberries and 3 low bush, three varieties of grapes (still haven't seen any yet),  asparagus, Horseradish, rhubarb, parsley, sage, dill, basil, mint, onions, yellow, red and white, mixed lettuce, Romaine lettuce, snow peas, peas, grape tomatoes, cauliflower, potatoes

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : August 01, 2009, 07:42:54 AM »

You sure do have a great garden.  I thought I used to have a big garden when I had one, but nothing compared to yours, and what a great variety.  Doesn't look like the weather has effected you at all.  Many thanks for sending the photos.

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #2 : August 01, 2009, 10:43:43 AM »

Deanne, wonderful garden!   Your granddaughter is getting so big...great pictures
dearon
: 233

« #3 : August 01, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »

Thanks Judi!
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #4 : August 02, 2009, 02:47:26 AM »

I am SO enviousness!!!!  (Is that a word?)

Great garden!
Sue W.
: 167

« #5 : August 02, 2009, 08:57:04 AM »

Lovely garden!  How do you keep the Japanese beetles out of your raspberries?
dearon

« #6 : August 02, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »

That has been quite challenging.  Last year I bought some nematodes on line for the price of $150.00.  Very expensive but starting to see the results.  We also use the traps and go out in the early morning when they dopey and fleck them into a bucket of Murphy's oil soap and water which either kills them or drowns them.  I don't know which and don't care as long as their dead.
I think one more application of nematodes will do it.  We used most of them in our older garden and there are just a few beetles here and there but in the new garden there are more of them.

You spray on the nematodes with a garden sprayer but have to be sure the outdoor temperature are not too cool.  They act by eating at the grubs that turn into Japanese beetles. 
As expensive as they are if they get rid of the population it will be worth it and I have about 1/2 acre of raspberries and will make it 3/4 acre next near.  I tried milky spore but was told that wasn't as effective in getting rid of them .
« : August 02, 2009, 05:02:07 PM Henry »
Sue W.

« #7 : August 02, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »

I just used Milky Spore this year.  Where do you get nemotodes?  I've never heard of  them.  I, too, go out with my bucket of soap solution and flick them in there.  Thanks for the info, your berries looked great!
dearon

« #8 : August 02, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »

I got them on line.  The most important thing to remember is there are some for Northern Climates and be sure you get that kind as well as the one for the type of bug you are trying to eliminate.  I believe I had gotten two packets and I had allot of area to get take care of.  I had my Dell laptop die so I lost all my bookmarks.   Here is one link but again be sure to educate youself on the subject first.
Here is a website to try to get information on but I would surf for information first.  I bought 100,000 nematodes for $150.00 which is a very good buy.

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=5000
« : August 03, 2009, 07:46:02 AM dearon »
Sue W.

« #9 : August 02, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »

Thank you for the link and info! I will check it out.  I really like having fresh berries and knowing how they were grown! This is a very good year for raspberries!  Thanks again!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: