Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:27:46 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Not Impressed With Kevin Youkilis
« previous next »
: [1]
: Not Impressed With Kevin Youkilis  ( 6520 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 13, 2009, 08:13:47 AM »

Well, I probably am in the minority here, but certainly am not impressed by Kevin Youkilis, the Red Sox player suspended for 5 games.  He is not a role model for our young people in sports.  He never strikes out without making every strike out appear like a bad call.  Then the fiasco the other night - We all have impressions of different people and my impression of Youkilis has sunk tremendously - I certainly would advise my grandsons to chose another role model.

Henry Raymond
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #1 : August 13, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »

Players should never argue a call, that is the managers job. Charging the mount never turns out well for either team.
7F30
: 47

« #2 : August 13, 2009, 10:00:37 AM »

I don't agree with him him charging the mound, but it brought the bats alive.  They couldn't hit anything before he did what he did. 
CLach
: 98

« #3 : August 13, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »

Hey Henry,
Born and raised in and around the Bostone area and being a die hard Boston sports fan, I had to provide my opinion ; )
So I am both agreeing and disagreeing with statements made about Youk......he has been repeatedly hit by pitches and I think this is the 3rd game in a row where he got hit....I think it was a good idea to charge the mound for the purpose of pumping up the Redsox and their bats, it seemed to work.  There wasnt a punch thrown, it was merely a tackle HOWEVER the stupidity came when he threw his helmet...that was uncalled for and a very bad influence. He deserves his 5 games for that
I agree that Youk also seems like every call is a bad call especially when he strikes out, however, being an ex-athlete myself, I can see how the passion he puts into the game plays a major role in his body language day in and day out.    GO SOX! 
Thank you to you Henry for allowing all of our neighbors to share and voice their opinions on your site
Papi
: 66

« #4 : August 13, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »

I have to disagree.  I've met Kevin personally, and I think that he's an excellent role model.  He plays the game with intensity and gives 100% unlike some past Sox players (Manny for instance!).  As for charging the mound/throwing at hitters/etc.  that is also part of the professional game.  Our youngsters who play sports are not professionals.  The code of conduct for school sports is and should be different than that of the pros.  Let's not even discuss the brawls in pro hockey.....!
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : August 13, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »

Papi brings up a very good point.  It is so easy to have a bad impression of someone when you don't know them.  Nice to hear different opinions and outlooks on something.  Well, just had my last cup of coffee and off to mow de grass.

Henry Raymond
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #6 : August 14, 2009, 08:46:02 AM »

I'm old enough to remember a young Red Sox outfielder named Tony Conigliaro.
A baseball hurled at close to 100MPH can do some serious damage to a human being.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: