Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 03:37:42 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  SHARE YOUR THANKSGIVING WITH LEON & STINA
« previous next »
: [1]
: SHARE YOUR THANKSGIVING WITH LEON & STINA  ( 2196 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 21, 2005, 07:17:57 PM »

Hi All,

I was on distribution on a note sent out by Leon Thompson, Staff Writer for the St. Albans Messenger and I would like to share with you a note that he wrote after which I would like to add a few comments of my own:

“Hi, all. Hope you're well.
St. Albans Messenger Photographer Stina Plant and I were brainstorming today about what we could do for a Thanksgiving story this Saturday (11/25). Our decision: Thanksgiving leftovers.
The Messenger wants to hear about what you do with your Thanksgiving feast leftovers -- whether your meal is traditional, non-traditional, or you have Chinese food every year.
Do you use and combine your leftovers to make other crazy dishes? Do you stretch them out for days on end? Do you donate them to food shelves? Are there some parts of your Thanksgiving dinner that are better left over? What is your favorite Thanksgiving leftover?
If you're willing, please tell us about your experiences with Thanksgiving leftovers. All you must do is include your name, town of residence, and your profession in your response, which is preferable via e-mail to: leon@samessenger.com. (Please include a phone number in your message, too...just in case.)
Also, Stina needs a photo to accompany this story. So, if any of you would be willing to let her into your home or to accompany you on a Thanksgiving shopping trip between now and Wednesday, let us know ASAP. Stina's e-mail address is stina@samessenger.com.
Thanks! This should be fun!

Be well,
Leon Thompson
Staff Writer
St. Albans Messenger

I am going to cc: Leon and Stina as I just got back from shopping today down at Hannafords in St. Albans.  It was truly a madhouse down there.  Clerks that didn’t want to be working were working, couples were haggling over the size turkey, youngsters were trying to steer their mom’s down the candy aisle and elderly individuals were holding up a line of impatient shoppers as they casually shopped for their Thanksgiving Feasts.  Off course the ever popular frozen turkey cooler was just a hustle and bustle of activity.  Thank God I didn’t have to get in that mess and fight for my desired turkey.  Mine is thawing in the refrigerator.  I’m sure if Leon and Stina wanted to spend a little time in Hannafords particularly between 5 and 6:30 p.m. tomorrow night they could find plenty to write about.

Speaking of Thanksgiving Leftovers, as you probably are aware, Maryann and I have been married for over 45 years and in those very early years of our marriage we decided we would have the family thanksgiving.  Maryann did an excellent job of fixing all of the traditional items getting suggestions from her mom when she needed them and of course at the dinner, I took on the prime responsibility of carving the turkey, pretty much of a massacre, but everyone praised me for the excellent job I did.  After I finished, took the carcass, wrapped it in the aluminum foil and threw it in the trash can.

Bad move on my part as I could feel the piercing eyes of my mother-in-law as she immediately retrieved it.  I was informed that we didn’t throw the carcass away, that it would soon become delicious soup.  It was placed out in a cool place and several days later, my mother in law arrived with what was truly some of the most delicious turkey soup I have ever eaten.

This wonderful lady passed away in 1986 and since that time, with guilt feelings, I might add, the turkey carcass has always been thrown away after carving, mainly because none of us know how to make the delicious turkey soup she used to make.

I know that some of you must have some great recipes you would like to share with Leon & Stina and I know for a fact that some of you have some very unique traditions that go with Thanksgiving Day.  One family for example, and I won’t name them, goes bowling every Thanksgiving afternoon.

Take a few minutes and think about what you do with your thanksgiving leftovers or what your traditional thanksgiving is like which may not be quite so traditional to your friends and neighbors and share them with our friends down at the Messenger.

Send them a note and include your phone number in case they wish to give you a call.

leon@samessenger.com

stina@samessenger.com

I am going to put this up on my forum, so individuals that don’t get my little idiotic newsletter can read it there and participate if they wish to.

Have a great day,
Henry

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: