Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 09:26:06 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  J & L HARDWARE STORE - FAIRFAX - VT - MEET THE FOLKS
« previous next »
: [1]
: J & L HARDWARE STORE - FAIRFAX - VT - MEET THE FOLKS  ( 9806 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 09, 2005, 08:45:22 AM »

The above photo was taken in early November, 2005 and shows the Hardware Store with its latest addition to the right. The original Hardware Store was located in the building at the right in one room and contained mostly paint. Lena Meunier stated that making a $10 sale was thought to be a big day by a guy named Bill who used to live in a trailer on the J & L field. Jim Meunier was out on the fork lift and was called in to see if he could remember Bill's last name, but the name just wouldn't come. Lee Minor stopped in and he couldn't remember either. Claire Lemnah, Ralph and I couldn't even remember the trailer. We all remembered Joe Peloquin's saw mill being up on that lot, but again, Jim Meunier seemed to be the only one who remembered the International Truck Garage that occupied a prominent spot on the J & L Field. If you haven't guessed by now, J & L stands for Jim & Lena, who both by the way declined to have their pictures taken. Jim, going from memory thought the first building was built around 1983 and the present building in 1987. Their son Jeff Meunier took over the business in 1993.

Some of the J & L employees available for photos shown above are left to right, Joey Tucker, Claire Lemnah, Kyle Magnuson, Ralph Lemnah, Jeff Meunier (Owner), and Brian Stafford.

I'm sure most people in town have been in the J & L Hardware Store which is located up near the intersection of Route 104 and Route 128. Clerks are all courteous, friendly and helpful and always have time to give you a helping hand. A number of years ago, my sump pump failed, so I rushed down to J & L, grabbed the pump I needed off the shelf and went to the counter. Jeff seeing that I was in a bit of a hurry, told me just go ahead, we'll figure it out later. In another situation, I had a broken starter switch for my snowblower and brought it down to see if I could get a replacement. Ralph Lemnah waited on me. He took a look at it and said he thought he could fix it, but would have to bring it home to do it. I told him I would check with him in a few days, but the next morning, a car drove in the yard at my house and who comes to my door but Ralph Lemnah with the switch all repaired. Tried to pay him, but he would accept nothing. Had several situations when Brian Stafford waited on me. Once I couldn't get the spark plug out of my gas powered trimmer. Brian removed it for me and when he went to get a replacement, found they did not have that type. He not only told me where I might be able to get a replacement, but called to make sure they had one. In another situation, my wife's walker had some missing rivits. I had no idea how I was going to get it repaired, but Brian came through again, using some special tools he put the three rivits in. Rivits cost less than 50 cents and that is all he would charge me for.

Bottom line, sure is great to have a hardware store with people who truly care about helping you get what you need. Congratulations to the crew at J & L Hardware

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #1 : December 13, 2005, 09:02:36 AM »

You've certainly hit the nail on the head-the folks at J&L certainly have that small town special about them! They are always willing to go that extra mile-literally as you've pointed out. Perhaps it's the giving nature that seems to spring eternal from the Meuniers that rubs off on the people in their employ? I've lived here nearly twenty years and never can recall a time when the staff at J&L wasn't friendly and helpful. Thanks to you all for making Fairfax the wonderful place that it is!  lmb

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: