Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 10:16:24 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  This Phone Scam Is Happening Locally
« previous next »
: [1]
: This Phone Scam Is Happening Locally  ( 4684 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 07, 2009, 08:28:42 AM »

This is not an Internet Forward, so beware if you get one of these calls on your cell phone:

Hey Folks,

Thought I’d share with you a phone scam that I know for a fact is going around. I’ve received two phone calls on my cell phone over the last couple of weeks that are definite scams. The calls are from an automated system that identifies itself as VISA Security and states that your debit card has been cancelled due to security violations. The call advises you to call back a number or hit “1” on your phone to be connected with a customer service person. The first call I got was late at night and the caller ID on my phone listed a 1-800 number. I hung up and tried to call the 1-800 number shown on my phone and I got connected with a voicemail thanking me for RSVPing to a wedding. I called VISA Security, using the number listed on my card, and had them check my account. They stated there was nothing wrong with my account. I did some research on the 1-800 number listed on my caller ID and found several websites warning that this number was being used by scammers who will try to get you to divulge your account information. If you press the “1” like they tell you, you will be connected with someone who will try to get you to give your personal information. Don’t do it, just hang up and call VISA security through your financial institution if you are at all concerned that something may be wrong with your account. The second call, I received earlier this afternoon and this time the number showed up restricted on my cell phone. The call was the same, an automated message telling me my debit card had been cancelled and telling me to call a number or press “1” to connect to a representative. The phone number they provided this time is not in service. Verizon says there is nothing they can do to block the number calling because the scammers are blocking their number from being displayed.

Just a heads up, never give out your personal information over the phone. The credit card companies have your information; they don’t need to ask you for it.

Henry Raymond
JoeT
: 100

« #1 : October 07, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »

Credit card companies will call you if your card is compromised.  It happened to us last year, we were awakened at 4 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving by a guy asking us if we had just made two purchases etc, etc.  He said, if you did not make these purchases, please call your credit card provider as soon as possible.

The BIG difference... they will tell you to call the number on the back of your card.

We did call, and yes, our credit card # got stolen.  How?  That's a tale for another day.

Joe
« : October 07, 2009, 12:34:36 PM JoeT »
Sue W.
: 167

« #2 : October 07, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »

Thanks for that tip!  Scary stuff....
JKandBoys
: 15

« #3 : October 07, 2009, 04:45:52 PM »

Thanks for the info. I received a message on my cell phone just the other day. It was a bit garbled but there was definite mention of calling a number and speaking to someone in the security office. Because I didn't recognize the number and it was an automated message I ignored the call. I'm glad I did.
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #4 : October 07, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »

I got a call Saturday from someone who said they were from my bank and they had questions about some recent charges... The message they left gave me a number to call. Knowing that there are some such scams out there, I cautiously called the number they gave me, just to see where it called to. After I heard the welcome message ("welcome to _____ bank...") i hung up and called the number on the back of my debit card. I explained to her the message I got and she confirmed that the number given to me was valid, and actually transferred me to that department. Turns out, someone used by debit card number and purchased over $300 worth of stuff online...  

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up not to just write these types of calls off as scams, because had they not called me, I would not have noticed the transaction until much later on...  Certainly be cautious when contacted by anyone claiming to be from your credit card company, bank, etc. but don't blow them off as a scam automatically. You can always tell the person calling that it is not a good time, and that you will call the customer service number from your card when you are available to discuss the issue at hand. Anyone who actually works for the real company will not pressure you into continuing the conversation at that time.....
: [1]  
« previous next »
: