Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 08, 2024, 01:11:43 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Hunters Breakfast Article In Today's Burlington Free Press
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Hunters Breakfast Article In Today's Burlington Free Press  ( 3965 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 15, 2009, 08:56:35 AM »

November 15, 2009

Rifle season begins

Community breakfasts feed hunters on opening day

By Joel Banner Baird, Free Press Staff Writer

FAIRFAX — Napoleon famously championed the virtues of a well-stocked chuck wagon, declaring “An army marches on its stomach.”

Hunters and nonhunters in Fairfax tested the theory Saturday morning, well before dawn’s early light on the first day of rifle season for deer.

At 3 a.m., the grills in the Baptist Building basement roared to life.

An hour later, as a steady stream of Beatles tunes drifted through the room, volunteers served up mounds of scrambled eggs, home-fries, sausage and bacon, buttered toast, coffee, and juice.

Jeff Phelps of Fairfax and his dad, Jim Phelps of Derby, appeared content after breakfast.

Both men had stayed up until 1:30 that morning, talking around an open fire.

“We got some venison from last year out of the freezer; cooked it up outside with onions, green peppers and garlic,” Jeff said. “Old-school.”

Jim nodded approvingly: “We lost track of time.”

Sharon O’Neill cleared their plates; father and son ambled into the dark parking lot, bound for Waterbury Reservoir and — maybe — fresh venison for the freezer.

O’Neill, who described herself as “a newbie” to the hunters breakfast, said she’d been alerted to the need for volunteers by a series of e-mails.

Proceeds from the event, she said, go toward maintaining the old building, which is owned by the United Church of Fairfax, but is increasingly popular with a wide range of community and civic groups.

Laura Woodward, who sold numbered tickets at the door, is not a newbie.

She said the Lamoille Masonic Lodge No. 6 had begun sponsoring the breakfast “at least” 20 years ago with simple but no less warming fare: homemade doughnuts and thermos jugs of coffee.

Woodward said patronage ebbed and flowed with new and old faces. She’d kept track; she hadn’t missed a single deer season.

A table crowded with young men drowned out the final, grand chords to “A Day in the Life.”

Woodward said she remembered when they were boys.

Jordan Hayes was one of four or five young bucks who said they’d rolled out of bed for the breakfast and the company of friends — but not for the hunt.

“Some of us have to go to work,” he said. “I’m going to walk home and go back to bed.”

At the busy toaster station, another non-hunter (and newbie) Margo Rome paused to explain her choice of music for the occasion.

“I finally settled on the Beatles because I was worried about getting too wild,” she said. “I didn’t think people would want to listen to Pink Floyd this early in the morning. Or Van Halen.”

Working next to Rome, washing dishes, was Wayne Sweet, a Mason, who said the pleasures of community involvement bring him to the breakfast every year.

He’d lost any urge to hunt when he was 8 or 9 — after watching his uncle (a game warden) dispatch a wounded deer with a pistol shot to the head.

Michael Cain, born and raised in Fairfax, said he was predisposed to hunt (and enjoy a ritual pre-hunt meal) like his deceased father, Frank Cain.

“Dad was always enjoyed socializing with everyone who came in here,” he said. “So, I’m here in memory of Dad. And to have a good breakfast.”

Contact Joel Banner Baird at 660-1843 or joelbaird@bfp.burlingtonfreepress.com. Read his blog at www.burlingtonfreepress.com/bairdseyeview and follow him on Twitter at @vtgoingup .

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : November 15, 2009, 09:44:28 AM »

That is NOT what I said. I said I was NOT a hunter, and Dad wasn't either. I told him that I come in memory of Dad, because he was a Mason and he used to work at the breakfast. Dad really enjoyed working with the people in the kitchen, they always had a lot of fun, and that he also enjoyed seeing all the hunters come in. There was a lot of comraderie in the kitchen and socializing with the hunters. That's what he enjoyed.
And I was NOT born in Fairfax. I TOLD him that.
If you're going to do a story, do it right.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : November 15, 2009, 09:51:38 AM »

Mike,  as you may be aware, I am not big on talking to the media.  I got a call from Brian Joyce of WCAX last year who tried to put some words in my mouth when I was talking to him on the phone.  I ended up telling him I did not want my name mentioned at all in connection with the situation.  He then gave me the ole "Off the record" thing - Yah Right!!!

Some writers are very good, while others not so good.  I understand from some of the Staff Writers that sometimes their stories are edited for space and what comes out is not always what they wrote.

I deliberated putting this up on my forum, but decided if I gave proper credit to the article it would be fine.  Glad I did now, as it gave you the opportunity to correct what was said.

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : November 15, 2009, 01:43:10 PM »

What was most important about the event was that  church folk, Masons,  Eastern Star, members of the Citizens for Fairfax Community all got together to work to raise money for a shared concern: the well being of the venerable Baptist Church Building.  It was wonderful to see various groups collaborate for the good of the community.
jbb
: 1

« #4 : November 16, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »

That is NOT what I said. I said I was NOT a hunter, and Dad wasn't either. I told him that I come in memory of Dad, because he was a Mason and he used to work at the breakfast. Dad really enjoyed working with the people in the kitchen, they always had a lot of fun, and that he also enjoyed seeing all the hunters come in. There was a lot of comraderie in the kitchen and socializing with the hunters. That's what he enjoyed.
And I was NOT born in Fairfax. I TOLD him that.
If you're going to do a story, do it right.

I owe Michael an apology -- and can only assume the (much) earlier-than-usual workday muddied my skills as a listener.  Thanks for reading -- and please keep me informed about goings-on in Fairfax. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast, and the people I met there. No ill-will intended -- Joel
MikeF9
: 1994

« #5 : November 16, 2009, 01:00:39 PM »

Thank you, Joel, for your apologiy and I accept.
I do apologize as I may have barked a little louder than I should have.
It's just that the breakfast meant a lot to my father.
Thank you again.
Mike

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: