Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 11:06:30 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Photo Blog 1/20/10 Old Main Hill and the Old Tollhouse Area
« previous next »
: [1]
: Photo Blog 1/20/10 Old Main Hill and the Old Tollhouse Area  ( 3519 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : January 19, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »

Wednesday January 20, 2010
Photo Blog

OLD MAIN HILL AND THE OLD TOLLHOUSE AREA

Main Hill- the original photo

Cropped photo, to show a couple of horse and buggys coming down the hill. Not quite sure what the box and ladder on the pole is for(on the left)..........fuse box?

Not a great picture, but this IS the toll house that used to sit down in the pasture near the Lamoille River. It is now a cellar hole, and the rec path goes along side and snakes around where the barn in back used to be. If I remember hearing Albert Rich tell it, the house burned and the barn went with the '27 flood. Looking at it now, the driveway is about where the rec path goes.

This picture was taken April or May 1943. It shows a young willow tree growing out of the cellar hole where the tollhuse was.

Picture taken in the late 50's/early 60's?

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : January 20, 2010, 08:03:20 AM »

First time I have actually ever seen a photo of the toll house.  I think some place I have one of the barn.  I wonder who the family is living there??  I am really enjoying these old photos.  Looks like you have been doing a lot of homework for the New Fairfax History Book.

Henry Raymond
JoeT
: 100

« #2 : January 20, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »

Just taking a guess... (looking at where the wire comes from)

The box on the pole with the ladder may be for a telephone?  Perhaps an emergency phone?

A similar thing was jokingly depicted in the show Green Acres - at the top of the pole,  but I've heard tales of phones actually being mounted outdoors...back in the day.

Regards,
Joe

: [1]  
« previous next »
: