Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:21:53 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  River Otter along Stone Brook
« previous next »
: [1]
: River Otter along Stone Brook  ( 4104 )
Dave L.
: 9

« : February 06, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »

One of my daughters and I were wandering around the woods along Stone Brook today and saw where a river otter had been sliding on the ice….and me without my camera.  It was not too far from Henry’s house just upstream from “Mcginn’s Woods”.   There were at least half a dozen spots where it had slid on its belly just to have fun.   It is great to see that they are still around.  I saw one closer to our house, along a rivulet which feeds into Stone Brook last summer.   

I hope to get back out there and take a few pictures tomorrow if the snow has not changed too much.
Judi
: 508

« #1 : February 06, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »

Yesterday I saw one on the edge of the ice pawing at the water on River Road.  It was about 1 1/2 ft long and was brownish red in color. I could not stay long because of where I was on the bend of the road but it was still there about 20 minutes later when I returned.  There are also a half dozen merganzers seen everyday floating in the open water.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : February 06, 2010, 07:56:58 PM »

You guys sent me researching on the Internet to see what these things look like - Hopefully somebody will get a picture of one - Didn't realize we had so many strange animals around here.

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #3 : February 07, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »

The Keeping Track group, under the guidance of  Sue Morse, documented cases of Otters ten years ago in the Addison are.  It's good to hear that the species has apparently made a strong comeback. They are territorial and range over several miles in looking for food, we were told so being in the Fairfax area makes sense.
Margie
: 156

« #4 : February 07, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »

I used to see some down on the Lamoille River below my house.  They were usually near the bend just down river from Swanson's.  Rex and I would watch them swimming in the river.  Very cute!!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: