Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:24:11 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Bouthillette Fire Photo
« previous next »
: [1]
: Bouthillette Fire Photo  ( 12336 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : February 09, 2010, 12:32:04 AM »

I took a bunch of pictures with my iPhone at the call Monday afternoon, but I think 1 photo sums up what we encountered when we got on scene. Such a damned helpless feeling because there was nothing we could do.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
David Shea
: 471

« #1 : February 09, 2010, 07:31:11 AM »

Good Morning,

Has an effort been put in place to see if the Bouthillette's are in need of support?  I am sure that all of their personal items are gone?  How can we help them?

Dave Shea
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #2 : February 09, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »

I agree Mike, I am approaching 20 years in emergency services and it still doesn't get any easier when you see destruction and death. 

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #3 : February 09, 2010, 08:29:50 AM »

I agree with above but at the same time as emergency responders we do need to try and separate ourselves from the emotion to stay safe and on task.  Having been an active member with FXFD for 14 years I have seen many people I know have property destroyed, been injured and some even perish due to the nature of the incident, and agree this is not an easy task sometimes.

Being in emergency services is like being a football team showing up late to the game with the opposing team playing undefended and with a two touchdown lead.   Our job is to try and even the score in a very narrow window of opportunity and hopefully come out on top.  Sometimes we win and sometimes we just don’t have a chance as was the case with this past structure fire. 

From my perspective, my job is to ensure that all my personnel operate in a delicate balance of aggressive, efficient and above all safely. 

Justin Hayes
Deputy Chief
Fairfax Fire Dept.
Shadylane08
: 125

« #4 : February 09, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »

Justin, Brian, Mike, and crew

No matter how you guys look at it, I wouldn't rather having a different crew then our fairfax fire fighters, helping save my personal property or family's lives.  You guys have a great group of guys, and I'm sure you guys, and the neighboring departments did everything you could in the little time you had.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : February 09, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »

Appreciate the photo Mike - They had a very brief item on Channel 3 and on Channel 22 at 6 p.m.  Channel 22 showed Dean Potter mentioning that some of the houses that are away from the highway can burn for some time before being noticed by passerbys.  I was going to try and clip a photo, but looks like you got a good one of the fire.  I will be doing some research to see if I can find a photo of the house before it burned as I am trying to keep some historical data on our vanishing/changing buildings in Fairfax.

Henry Raymond
slpott
: 457

« #6 : February 09, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »

We do have an awesome Fire Department and that is why I do the Art in Bloom. It is only a small token of appreciation but it is something the whole town can do to show their gratefulness. Great job guys for all your hard work. I know many of you and we are very fortunate to have all of you. Thank you.
swilliam
: 47

« #7 : February 09, 2010, 03:22:28 PM »

Just a reminder to everyone that there may be one or two women members on the Fairfax Fire Dept!  We appreciate everything the whole department does for this community.  Excellent job.
slpott
: 457

« #8 : February 10, 2010, 06:32:30 AM »

I only assumed "guys" included all. I forget some of us are more sensative than others. I was brought up before the "politically correct" movement. Three little Indian Boys and Girls drives me nuts. That was not the way it was. It was three little indian boys darn it. I also do not mind that "Sesame Street"  is not "equal". Who the heck cares. I am all for change but within reason. GREAT JOB GUYS AND GALS.
Henry
Administrator

« #9 : February 10, 2010, 08:22:06 AM »

Call came too late to save structure
By LEON THOMPSON
Messenger Staff Writer

February 9, 2010 Edition Of The St. Albans Messenger

FAIRFAX — A huge blaze destroyed a home here Monday afternoon before firefighters even arrived at the scene.

Smoke and flames were pouring from the 395 Nichols Rd. home of Dan and Pat Bouthillette by the time fire crews pulled into the driveway at about 12:30 p.m.

Dean Potter, Fairfax fire chief, said this morning that the roof of the wood-structure home had caved in upon arrival of the first fire truck.

"When I got there, the building was already on the ground," Potter said, noting that the house stood 300 feet off the road. "It was probably cooking for a while before anybody saw it to call it in," the chief said.

Firefighters from Westford, St. Albans Town, and Georgia assisted the Fairfax Fire Department at the scene. Their strategy was "surround and drown," knowing the house was already a loss, Potter said.

Crews were at the scene for about four hours. There were no injuries, and the Bouthilettes were not home when the fire started.
The cause is still under investigation. Reportedly, the family's dog escaped from the home, but a cat was still missing as of late last night.
« : February 10, 2010, 10:07:00 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
formerfxfd15
: 21

« #10 : February 10, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »

As a former female member of the Fairfax Fire Dept. for 6 years, I was never offended when they thanked the "guys".  I always knew what was meant.  But yes, there are currently 2 female firefighters on the department, and they both do a wonderful job, though one of them is currently serving our country overseas.  The whole department does a great job, and I am proud of everything that they all do.  What a great team they are, and I was very proud to serve with the guys, and gal (at the time). 
« : February 10, 2010, 09:43:39 AM formerfxfd15 »
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #11 : February 12, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »

Thank you and we miss you Jess! :-)
ASDuling
: 75

« #12 : February 12, 2010, 07:40:21 AM »

Does anyone have a description of the cat they could post? Those of us in the area could keep an eye out for it.
« : February 12, 2010, 10:12:27 AM ASDuling »
Henry
Administrator

« #13 : February 13, 2010, 11:30:14 AM »

To view photos taken at the fire by Glen Russell, click on the following link:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BT&Dato=20100208&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=2080806&Ref=PH

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: