Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:37:45 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  How Mother Got Us Not To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday
« previous next »
: [1]
: How Mother Got Us Not To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday  ( 5311 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 17, 2010, 10:19:46 AM »

First off, my Mother was a wonderful person, however she had to resort to certain means to get us kids to do certain things.  One of the most memorable I remember is the tradition of eating pancakes on Ash Wednesday so you would not have the 7 Year Itch.

Not really sure what the 7 Year Itch was supposed to be, but certainly not something we kids wanted to take a chance on.  Every Ash Wednesday, without fail, we always new what our main meal was going to be.  It was pancakes with good old Vermont Maple Syrup with fried eggs.  Now this apparently was not a wide spread belief, but certainly at our house, even my girls were very well aware that if they went up to Memere's on Ash Wednesday, they would have pancakes.

Henry Raymond
Kathleen
: 167

« #1 : February 17, 2010, 11:58:42 AM »

It's amazing how food traditions tend to stick.  My sister will always make fried dough on Good Friday.  I personally don't have any food traditions per se; I'm just thankful that I remember the days I can't eat meat during lent.  Towards the end of lent, I'm always challenging myself to come up with some new and creative meal for the Fridays.
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : February 17, 2010, 12:42:04 PM »

My grandsons will be up here Friday and Fried Dough is their choice, so that is what I will be making

Henry Raymond
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #3 : February 17, 2010, 12:47:53 PM »

Henry, your website makes me hungry.
Steeple Market, Vermont Breakfast Company, donuts, pancake, fried dough.
I just don't know if I should wash it down with green mountain, or green tea ???

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : February 17, 2010, 12:52:28 PM »

Maryann and I just had baked haddock from Steeples for dinner.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #5 : February 17, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »

Chris, it's a very simple equation.  Look down at your watch.  If it's light out and the little hand is on the left side of the "11", then you drink Green Mountain.  If it's on the other side of the "11", then you have green tea! :D

(or, if you're from Alaska, you would use the "9" as the reference)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #6 : February 17, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »

When using this rule of thumb, Do I need to use a watch that works?

I have one from 5-6 yrs ago that is perfect stop at 2:20pm. Will this work if worn all the time?
trussell
: 870

« #7 : February 17, 2010, 06:12:39 PM »

I believe it WILL work, but often results in disparaging remarks from a significant other.  The argument about utilizing other timezones also results in this.  Use that watch at your own risk.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
: [1]  
« previous next »
: