Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 06:29:36 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  To Attend Town Meeting or Not to Attend? That is the question.
« previous next »
: [1]
: To Attend Town Meeting or Not to Attend? That is the question.  ( 6756 )
David Shea
: 471

« : February 26, 2010, 07:11:44 PM »

edited by originator
« : March 03, 2010, 09:39:54 AM David Shea »
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #1 : February 26, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »

I think you already know where your priorities are, Dave...do you want to change your vote in the poll?
David Shea
: 471

« #2 : February 26, 2010, 08:24:13 PM »

Julie,

Yes you can change my vote in the poll.  I will not be attending the meeting.  I am being sarcastic. 

My family didn't plan for this accident, it just happened.  I really did plan on going to town meeting.  I just think it is hysterical how people find it so easy to pass judgement on the choices that others make.

The case of my families is a prime example of what can happen and often does happen when we make plans to attend meetings.  I had planned to go, but obviously can't.
« : February 26, 2010, 08:55:56 PM David Shea »
cestreet
: 37

« #3 : February 26, 2010, 09:58:06 PM »

"I just think it is hysterical how people find it so easy to pass judgement on the choices that others make."

I am firmly of the belief that priorities dictate what we do, and if you don't attend TMD, it's a question of priorities. This has nothing to do with passing judgment.  You do what you have to do.  I would stay home too in your situation.  My empathy stops at the notion that you (or me, or anybody else) are somehow disenfranchised by having to make this choice.  BTW, I agree that the big decisions should be made at the voting booth on Tuesday.

Clarice Streets
7F24
: 253

« #4 : February 27, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »

I have to work, so I can't be there to vote.  I quess the good part is I'll be able to pay my share.
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #5 : February 27, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »

Right, Wrong or Indifferent I think that the traditional style town meeting has become a thing of the past much due to the development of technology and the ability to put forth so much information electronically via web sites and computed based presentations. 

I am a huge advocate for anything that involves public funding whether it be 10 cents or 10 million it should be voted on at the polls in confidence without the public influence of the decision to hold your bright yellow card up the air or not. 

I am curious as to how many more years it will be before the "town meeting" of tradition is gone.
Vtsharon
: 25

« #6 : February 27, 2010, 11:02:58 AM »

Where I live now every warrant article goes to the ballot and we have a series of public hearings that lead up to a Deliberative Session  (about a month before TMD)where every article is discussed/debated and modified as the Town Meeting voters decide on the floor.  The warrant articles are then finalized and the final warrant issued and voted on by ballot.
Mummy
: 280

« #7 : February 27, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »

Too many folks vote according to the popular vote at Town Meeting Day.  I have watched when they ask for a show of hands how folks take a look around to see if they "should" have their hand up or not and then suddenly their hand goes up!  Remember in the end you have to stand for something or you will fall for everything!

If you feel the budgets are too high, then take a stand and vote NO on Tuesday.  It is only a matter of time before the 40-something ends up on that fixed income which will determine if you stay in your home or are forced to move at that time of your life because of 1%, 2%, 5%, 2%, 1% and 1% compounded over the years.  This will impact your moving out of your home some day even though it looks great today!

Begin with the end in site - you need to exercise this technique on Tuesday.
Robin F
: 7

« #8 : February 27, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »

Dave, Dave, Dave ...

I know you were being sarcastic, but if one reads my post in the previous topic: I said "many people," not all. I don't pass judgment; I stated my opinion. My opinion is that most people who do not go to Town Meeting simply do not care enough to go. I did not say they were bad people for not going. There will always be some who want to go but can't for some reason beyond their control. There will likely be people who want to vote on Tuesday who do not make it for some reason out of their control (car accident, emergency at home/work, etc.). There currently does not exist a system where absolutely everyone who wants to vote on any item will be guaranteed the ability to gather the information needed and vote on that item. However, that may come in the relatively near future as technology is changing many things.

I think it is a great idea to record the the Town and School presentations so people who do not go can watch it before they cast a vote. That should not be too taxing to implement. Definitely something to keep in mind for next year.

Dave, I hope your wife gets better soon.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: