Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:23:54 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Is It a Real or Made Up Controversy?
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Is It a Real or Made Up Controversy?  ( 15099 )
mirjo
: 785

« #15 : March 22, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »

I think placing some reasonable restrictions on abusive practices would be acceptable (i.e., insurance companies can't drop people AFTER a major health issue has occurred, and they can't raise individual rates more than XX% per year).  At the same time, there should be a limit on the mark-up hospitals (AND hospital suppliers) can charge for consumables.  $4 for ONE Tylenol, or $2 for ONE cotton swab!  That's just as outrageous as some insurance premium hikes.

It's because it's special medical stuff dontcha know? All consumerable goods that  can be given a specialized label can get a jacked up price--it's the American Way! The only brand name drug the hospital dispenses (that isn't still bound by a patent) is TYLENOL! Everything else is generic. I don't know what the deal is with Tylenol, but there must be one. There are brands of certain supplies that are arguably better than others, but I don't think there is a good reason why this stuff is priced so high other than: "because we can." And I think that probably falls on the manufacturer as well as the hospital. Without actually knowing the price the hospital is paying, it's hard to know what the mark-up is.

I have a relative who works in the dental field for an oral surgery practice. They recently looked into cost-cutting measures and decided the $20/pkg paper towels could go (this wasn't a case price, I believe it was a pkg price--the folded kind you see in public places) So, it seems someone is gouging someone, somewhere in the chain.

On a brighter note (and surely I jest) HCR has finally passed like a huge kidney stone, for whatever it's worth. Now that the speculating is over, it's time to sit back and see where it all lands. Make some popcorn and snag a comfy seat :P

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Kathleen
: 167

« #16 : March 23, 2010, 06:25:50 AM »

I agree with mirjo -- I believe the cost of items dispensed by the hospital is set because they can!  The hospitals are a business and the bottomline is the business is out to make a profit.  But why should a business profit off of the illness and misfortunes of the population? 
I have the government employees health insurance, and the Medical Center has elected NOT to be a provider for this insurance because they don't want to accept the negotiated rates the insurance company wants to pay for specific procedures; however, Northwestern IS a provider.  It simply doesn't make sense that a larger business such as the Medical Center says procedures cost them more than apparently it does for Northwestern who accepted the negotiated rates.

Thus, my only assumption can be that GREED is the driving force.  I think hospitals should be non-profit and then maybe the costs can be gotten under control.
mirjo
: 785

« #17 : March 23, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »

While I think doctors have the right to earn a decent wage, I would have to agree Kathleen that all hospitals should be non profit. It's not right that a hospital should be able to chose not to accept a certain insurance because of the coverage. There are certain overhead/operating costs that need to be considered such as heat, electricity and such.

If you notice hospitals ask for an increase in their fees each year or every few years, but there is never any comprehensive disclosure as to how much it costs to run to the place...I think that should be part of the health care reform act. insurance is only one aspect of health care. I think it the profit loss statement of local hospitals in each state should be public knowledge. There should be some accountability for why they charge exorbitant prices medications that would otherwise cost pennies on the dollar retail! The mark-up is over and above the customary mark-up on auto  parts  when you have your car serviced! That shouldn't be accepted.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: