Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 10:59:37 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Backlash Over Border Closure
« previous next »
: [1]
: Backlash Over Border Closure  ( 3645 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 07, 2010, 07:29:49 AM »

Well many of us backed the Rainville Family and still do, but closing the border crossing, well, I think that was just a threat that eventually came true to get the Rainville Family to back off.

I personally don't think if there had been no stimulus money that no thought would have been given to expanding the border crossing.  There is nothing wrong with the border crossing as it is to continue in operation and having had ancestors on the border in both Highgate and Alburg, I can understand how the people of that town feel.

There are several articles in the media on this and one can be found on the WCAX website by clicking on the following link:

Henry Raymond
logical
: 141

« #1 : June 07, 2010, 08:11:19 AM »

Be careful what you wish for!  Obviously when a landowner is forced to give up 2 1/2 acres of land they are not going to be happy with that.  None of us would be.  The Rainville's were going to be compensated for their land.  Additionally, it was 2 1/2 acres out of hundreds.  If losing 2 1/2 acres out of hundreds was going to force them out of business than they could not have a very financially sound business to begin with.  While the necessity of a new border crossing can certainly be questioned and rightfully should we must look at the overall impact of what closing this crossing all together will mean to not only the drivers coming into and out of the US but also to the impact on national security.  This story has made national news.  It is conceivable that a terrorist who is planning a future attack on the United States could utilize this information in planning such an attack.

People need to understand exactly what they are asking for and supporting before they do so.
JoeT
: 100

« #2 : June 07, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »

Don't fire departments still perform cross-border mutual aid?  Just sayin'.... something to consider in the event of, oh, a barn fire!
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #3 : June 07, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »

from Senator Patrick Leahy June 3, 2010

"The closure process will involve a public comment period, extensive consultations with stakeholders, and further assessments on safety and traffic patterns -- steps that Secretary Napolitano estimates will likely take a year to complete."

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Papi
: 66

« #4 : June 07, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »

Let's not forget who asked to close the port!

U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy announced Thursday that Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has agreed with his request to close the border crossing at Morses Line...
Leahy said, "Maintaining an entry port at Morses Line was far less complicated in an earlier era, but the security needs of today would require many improvements.  Meeting today’s security standards for this port, which handles very little traffic, would cost more than $5 million and require the forced taking of a farmer’s property.  The decision to close it is an appropriate conclusion to this process.  Closing this seldom-used crossing solves that dilemma, saves taxpayers’ money and protects the Rainville family’s farmland."
: [1]  
« previous next »
: