Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 10:56:27 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Maple Street/Hunt Street intersection
« previous next »
: [1]
: Maple Street/Hunt Street intersection  ( 4552 )
Margie
: 156

« : June 09, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »

I wanted to make a little plea to everyone using the detour from Main Street, down Maple Street, and connecting to Hunt Street:  There are lots of school kids still walking to school, and lots of neighbors out walking their dogs.   The streets are not as wide as Main Street and not intended for people to be driving 35-40 miles an hour on.  And the intersection of Maple & Hunt is rather blind with people turning in 4 directions.

This morning I was coming off my street - Cain Street - which is also right at the intersection.  I looked down the hill and saw a car just starting thru the covered bridge.  Since there was no other traffic coming, I started to pull out.  However, the car down the hill  was driving so fast, she almost hit the front end of my car.  Thankfully I realized how fast she was driving and stopped.  By the time she was at the intersection, there was a car coming down the hill from Hunt Street and taking the corner down Maple.  He took the corner so narrowly, and fast, he almost hit her car.

This is only day 3 of the detour.  Please be especially cautious at the intersection and watch your speed.  Thank you!
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : June 09, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »

Well, said, Marge!  I have similar concerns about Boissoneault Rd and its bridge.  People walk and run on the road, it some places it isn't especially wide;  the bridge is really a one lane bridge and folks should stop and look before entering it. 
I hope people will slow down and be alert on this road, as on Maple St. 
It  won't last forever--we do need the work being done!
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : June 09, 2010, 11:53:54 PM »

Burn them in the BRIDGE!!!

They still do that???
MikeF9
: 1994

« #3 : June 10, 2010, 12:11:22 AM »

Yes. Once in a great while, someone will sit there and spin his tires in the covered bridge. Smoke fills up the bridge, and you can still smell wood smoke a couple of days later. Never understood the need to do that.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
klangelier
: 6

« #4 : June 10, 2010, 09:15:33 AM »

So .... what exactly is the etiquette RE driving thru the covered bridge?  Seems to me taking turns is the way to go - this keeps traffic moving and it doesn't get held up at either end - I've been thru a couple times and all drivers were very considerate, a car from each side going thru one at a time.  Been thru other times and had to wait for 4-5 cars flying thru, going way too fast for the narrowness of the bridge and road.  Let's all be considerate of one another and heed Margie's advice to slow down!
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : June 10, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »

I went down through around 5 pm last night and there was a long line on both sides of the bridge, each taking their turn.  A woman on a bicycle was coming down from Hunt Street and she even waited her turn to go through the bridge, which really impressed me.

On my way home I decided to use Huntville over Boissoneault Road as I had to go to Steeple Market after I left Nan's.  I only met a couple of cars and did approach very slowly over the little one way bridge on that road as the view is limited.

We have one week almost down, which means only 3 more to go and so far no mishaps.  Let's hope it continues.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: