Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:22:46 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  This Date in Fairfax History- June 10, 1978 BFA Baseball Team Goes 19-0
« previous next »
: [1]
: This Date in Fairfax History- June 10, 1978 BFA Baseball Team Goes 19-0  ( 3288 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : June 10, 2010, 12:15:25 PM »

This Date in Fairfax History- June 10, 1978
Craig Stewart pitches a no-hitter, as BFA-Fairfax completes an undefeated season of 19-0 and wins the Vermont State Class "M" Baseball Championship, beating West Rutland, 6-0, in Rutland.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : June 11, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »

Mike   Thanks for the info about two of our three State Championship Baseball Teams . As you know, BFA also won another State Baseball title under John Gillis direction in either 1987 or '88 with Brian Cardinal the outstanding pitcher for that team.
One of the great things about that win in 1978 was that the site of the game, St. Peters Field  ( home of the minor league team affiliated with the Boston Braves in the 50's & 60's, known as the Rutland Royals ) was about 7 miles from West Rutland and had been used by them for some of their home games that season . As our team and fans arrived, all of us were greeted by loud, derisive comments from their fans, and I suspect our team got some special taunts as they warmed up. So, when BFA raced to an early lead and seemingly had their way both offensively & defensively with West Rutland, their fans disappeared from the field until , at the end of the 6th inning, all that were left , besides the West Rutland team and their parents, were the large contingent of fans from Fairfax , the team and the newspaper reporters....... ( not even the other team's administrators who should have received their runner-up trophy ) . When Craig threw his final pitch in the bottom of the 7th, St. Peters had only the celebrants on its surface, including Mike Cain, super manager !!!  A great Saturday indeed !!!   
: [1]  
« previous next »
: